1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate to agree with Clay Travis and his raging ego but ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes and yes. Provocative, too.

But Coates also looks through at the world through such a specific, narrow lens - almost a vacuum of his own making - that it's reasonable to question whether he's a consistently robust thinker. I have friend who's like that - on an entirely different topic - who's prolific, brilliant, a great writer, and yet so exacting and philosophically extreme that he processes unrelated things through the same prism. It reminds me of Coates, who I love to read yet don't necessarily trust.

Hermes likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"If you truly wanna boycott the NFL and you wanna boycott ESPN, the notion that some guy sitting out there, or gal, and they decide, ‘you know what, I’m gonna cut my entire cable package because ESPN gave an award on a made-up show in July because there’s no sports, to a woman who used to be a man, so I’m now not gonna have any cable TV at all and I’m gonna sit around at night and read books by candlelight like olden times because of that,’ that’s not happening. And if you did that, than you’re so dumb that I can’t even pray for you because you’re beyond hope. If that was your reaction to this, was to deny yourself the ability to watch television, I mean that just hasn’t happened and didn’t happen, so I boycott them."
    Scott Van Pelt blasts people who say ESPN is sinking ship

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Does all that mean it isn't a sinking ship and Van Pelt is not a jerkoff?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My friend who claims to be boycotting the NFL (and ESPN, I think) continues to support ESPN by paying his cable bill. I told him to make his protest effective he needs to get rid of cable because he's still paying ESPN.

Draft saved Draft deleted