1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate to agree with Clay Travis and his raging ego but ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, a lot of players do run afoul with the law, and that might mangle the thought process to blurt out prison.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Inmates and asylum is the phrase, but not all of those in asylums were sent by the court. "Inmates" is a term normally applied to those in prisons. Never understood how this one took off as a common colloquial expression without being corrected to "Inmates running the prison" whenever the saying first came into usage.

4. tapintoamerica

5. tapintoamerica

Not a great day for conservative hero Clay Travis.
    His people got shouted down in Shelbyville and now his Vols lost to Kentucky. I don't think Travis is actually a white supremacist himself, but he, like the President of the United States, has no problem appealing to them and benefiting from them.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When did your paper(s) do its/their subscription-roll purges of white supremacists?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. He’s a member of a building trade union.

They’ve systematically prevented African-Americans from joining in significant numbers for generations.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He should just say he was watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and got the saying mixed up and never meant it as a dig at players.
    Trade out "building trade union" for Trump fair housing policy in the '70s and you've got yourself a nice match!

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good luck to Clay:

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I haven't been this excited to watch this kind of battle since back in college when the nerds on the lawn near my apartment dressed up in medieval clothes and rode around on double-decker bicycles jousting.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So glad I’m off Twitter

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I tend to discount any statement that features the word "basically" because they tend to be full of crap and entirely an opinion with little basis of fact. Foote, a non-academic writer, was featured prominently on The Civil War because he was good TV - there were other, more esteemed historians but Burns wanted a "voice of the South" and frankly, the series needed one to show how the "war" is still being fought by historians, particularly those who romanticize the Confederates and burnish the "moral victory" of the thing.
    If Travis wants to debate Coates' opinion, it will be a pretty lame debate.

Draft saved Draft deleted