1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate to agree with Clay Travis and his raging ego but ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Oct 21, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Since when is being perceptive or eloquent a requirement to address political issues? I wish it was though - it would clear out the radio for more music stations and probably empty the buildings in Washington D.C. But we demand more from athletes? They have to pass some test?

The funny thing is I couldn't disagree more with Travis' idea. I would say professional athletes ARE uniquely suited to speak to these issues since they are probably the only ones speaking out about this stuff a) who have a high enough profile where someone will put a mike in their face and b) they've actually experienced some of it first hand. They aren't speaking in the abstract. They've grown up in poverty, lived in bad neighborhoods - and most are still in touch with their hometowns.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The fucking president is a reality TV show host. That pretty much destroys the idea that everyone should stay in their lane.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, or it does just the opposite, and warns us of the dangers of celebrities trotting out political opinions.

QYFW likes this.
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The hubris involved in saying such crap is off the charts, Alma. Why is it we think we should begin to have a say in who black people (or any other group of people) choose as their leaders? In fact, I can think of a lot of admiral qualities and traits that make many athletes natural and gifted leaders and there are any number of examples of strong leadership by athletes.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The problem is most people saying this aren't offering up this nuance. It's just hillbilly dumb fucks like Clay Travis and most Trump voters unironically declaring entertainers aren't qualified to opine on politics.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think Clay Travis - as is anyone - allowed to critique the wisdom of relying upon millionaire celebrities to set the tone for what it means to be an American citizen.

Here's why: Look at who our president is. If ever you needed a slippery slope, you got one.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yeah, just ask Byron White.

8. cranberry

Why on earth would you suggest athletes or celebrities can’t or shouldn’t attempt to be political leaders? Why should those particular walks of life be excluded from political activism? And why is it awful to be a millionaire?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The premise here is flawed.

Does anyone anywhere really think athletes are 'uniquely perceptive' or 'eloquent' when it comes to political issues? No. But athletes sometimes have a platform from which to lead or inform the national discussion. Ask Ali or Tommy Smith. Jackie Robinson.

In many more cases, athletes are symbols, as they have been since ancient Greece. They find themselves caught up in the culture or politics of their time. Jesse Owens.

These misdirections are the sort incendiary anti-historical bullshit lawyering Travis specializes in.

"left wing sports media"?

Please.

10. cranberry

Athletes are often uniquely perceptive and eloquent. Think of Muhammad Ali, Curt Flood, Roberto Clemente and Arthur Ashe. These guys were larger than life in terms of their civil rights activism.

The backlash against athletes making political statements is little more than another thinly veiled attempt by right-wing cowards to suppress speech by influential black people.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course they can be.

But that's not the way Travis presents his premise.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Athletes, celebrities, "comedians," journalists ... all not nearly as important as they think they are.

Doc Holliday likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted