1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate the NFL. Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 24, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that's too far off. Go to a stadium and ask 10 people if they've got a fantasy/gambling interest and you might only get 1-2 saying yes, since most ticket holders are diehards for the home team and might shun all the outside stuff. But at a sports bar it will be a solid 9. The number of fantasy players on yahoo, espn, nfl.com are staggering -- and those are just the big sites. And the gambling is massive-- maybe slightly down with the online-gambling crackdown of recent years, but still massive.

And the gamblers/fantasy players definitely watch the draft, because it's part of the NFL hype machine: "ooh, I gotta lead on the next solid rookie for my team."

2. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Buck, I'm pretty much in total agreement with you. Even during the thick of the season, I'm almost completely indifferent to the NFL. You'd have to pay me to spend a Sunday watching football.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Spnited's implication is that all those people only watch the game because of fantasy and/or gambling interests. But, as usual, he's full of shit. Just as many baseball fans are involved in fantasy/gambling. It is possible to watch a game for multiple reasons.

And here's the difference between diehard football fans and diehard baseball fans: Football fans don't waste their energy bitching and moaning about baseball.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Reading this thread really pisses me off.....because i agree with every stinkin' thing you've said.

Sp....you're wrong. Just realize it and move on. NFL > MLB. Sorry. It's fact. And yes, you can compare NBC and ESPN viewer numbers. How many people do you know that have NBC but not ESPN these days? None, I'm guessing. If you have one, you have another, which means you have a choice. And most people choose the NFL. Every time.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Sorry, Sonner.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. Many people have more than one fantasy team and a three-team parlay working.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It happens. :)

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If your handle was Red Grange, I'd put more stock in your take. :D

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Damn. I have to agree with YGBFKM, too.

Where did this idea come from that fantasy sports only draws people into watching football. There are people who watch baseball to follow their fantasy teams, too. I'm one of them. Fantasy sports has a much bigger impact on my interest in baseball than it does in football.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to watch baseball just to watch a game, but I check my fantasy players first, everything else later.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Pretty good preseason game going on right now. :D

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Locally, I'm just glad the Rangers are still in contention in August, which is reducing the preseason coverage of the Cowboys to a more reasonable amount.

I don't give a shit that a fifth-string nose tackle with no shot of making the team has a turf toe.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If the NFL could magically do away with all fantasy leagues, office pools, point spreads and offshore wagering, you could count all the people in the stands on Sunday afternoons in less than 10 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted