1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate the NFL. Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 24, 2009.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That's why I said degenerate gamblers. I don't consider them very smart.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Gamblers and fantasy players make up probably 60% of the NFL audience.
    A majority watches games for reasons other than the game itself.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's doubtful.

If gamblers/fantasy freaks comprised the majority of the viewing audience, then preseason games and the Draft wouldn't do big ratings. Also, merchandise sales wouldn't be increasing each year.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

What percentage of fantasy players watch baseball games?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

17.3%

7. Crash

Crash Active Member

It's not that I dislike the NFL, it's that I dislike a lot of the perceptions about the NFL. The main one -- that it's much more competitive than baseball -- has been discussed too much on this board. Give the NFL PR machine credit, though. The league has had at least as many off-field scandals (and probably more) as the NBA had in the early post-Jordan days, when the common perception of the NBA was that it was a league of street thugs with no appreciation for the talent and fortune they'd been given. Yet the NFL has seen almost none of that backlash.

I hate the fact that a rookie like Matthew Stafford (the next big bust) is making more than proven veteran QBs. I hate the regional broadcast system CBS and FOX use to ensure that two of the three games I see every Sunday will consist of the same teams I watch every week. I don't much like Roger Goodell's grandstanding ass, though he's not that bad.

It's not so much that I hate the NFL, I just spend so much time watching football on Saturday that I'm usually ready to use my Sunday for something else.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm the opposite. College football has never grabbed my interest and attention like the NFL.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Do they gamble on the draft, Spnited?
    No?
    Then why are they watching?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because they're morons.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm going to quote myself:

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's 'cause you've never lived in the South. Oh wait ...

And yeah, I'm with BB on this one, although not for the same reasons. My main point of contention with the NFL is that it doesn't go away. There's no offseason anymore, seems like, and that's a new development in the last 5 or so years. (Mostly I blame ESPN, which I rarely watch anymore and that's helped.)

But after the Super Bowl, it's a month of rehash and then two months of draft preparation. Then a month of draft rehash and two months of training camp preparation. Then two months of preseason crap and then the season finally, mercifully, begins, when the coverage is actually warranted -- and by then, I'm already sick of it and wish the season would be over.

And that sucks, because I like football. And I want to like the NFL. Now, I only ever care to pay attention to the Packers and the playoffs (and hopefully, the twain shall meet.)

Give me mid-August baseball, which is compelling and -- more important -- meaningful over anything the NFL is doing right now. If preseason NFL was anything as leisurely as spring training, I might enjoy it more. As it is, it's just overwhelming.

And next month, give me college football over the NFL, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted