1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate the NFL. Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 24, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, Inky. Can't compare over the air numbers to cable numbers.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's the only pro sport I can watch.

I'd rather watch preseason NFL than the World Series, the NBA finals or the Stanley Cup playoffs.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

The explosion of the NFL didn't happen in the last 10-15 years and it has nothing to do with fantasy leagues. It happened from the mid-60s to the mid-70s and, yes, gambling was a significant factor in that explosion.

The NFL has been America's most popular spectator sport by a wide margin since the early '70s, and coverage has been increasing steadily ever since. This is not a recent phenomenon.

Oh, and the NFL draft routinely draws better TV ratings than NBA playoff games in the same time slot. That's right, a non-event draws more viewers than the NBA playoffs.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I don't, especially, like 3 1/2 hour NFL games, with commercials. I LOOOVE 25-minute recorded NFL games on my TiVo. Thank you, 30-second skip button!

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Reaffirming what HL Mencken said about the American public

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are there really that many people still on rabbit ears?

I think you can compare network TV to cable channels when it comes to sports and when talking about ESPN, which is ubiquitous on the cheapest cable tiers.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

People like war without death ... whodathunkit?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What would I do the rest of the Sunday?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sunday Ticket Shortcuts is just awesome. DirecTV edits each game down. You see the QB take the snap, the play and as soon as the tackle is made it skips to the next play. Some games last only 22 minutes that way. I can watch every game from the weekend in just a few hours.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

When Brady, Manning, Tomlinson and Lewis get busted for steroids, the NFL will have taken a big step in catching the Hall of Fame players busted in MLB this past decade. That, and because Cooperstown prides itself on being so exclusive, it makes all the sense int he world that good/HOF players come under more scrutiny in MLB than do the NFL, because that's what it's ultimately about.

Given how baseball's a sport about numbers -- 500, 300, 61, 56, .400, etc. -- when those numbers start to fall in part because of PEDs, it can't help but be big news. Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice won't be testifying on Capitol Hill anytime soon.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Could not agree more.

When I lived in Texas and Florida it was especially bad.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The names may have been bigger in baseball, but I'd be surprised if there weren't more players in the NFL using performance-enhancing drugs over the last 20 years or so than there have been in MLB.

Not that I care. Give me the NFL over any other pro sports league any day and it ain't even close.

Draft saved Draft deleted