1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate the NFL. Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 24, 2009.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Comparing coverage of the NFL to baseball is like comparing apples to kiwis. Baseball is played every day, and thus, in the 24-hour news cycle, there's no need for all the filler and fluff you get regarding the NFL. And while the stuff with Favre, Vick, etc. is totally overblown and ridiculous, the widespread popularity of the NFL dictates obsessive coverage. Like it or not, the NFL is America's pasttime. Sorry, grown men who keep score at baseball games.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If only they would have put the steroid-laden home run chase on instead of football!

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I love football. I would marry it if I could. College, pro, whatever. I love football. I am fine with training camp stories. Keep 'em coming.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll share your dislike on fantasy leagues, but that's probably a little hypocritical on my part because I ate and slept the betting lines for a few years. There's no question the NFL is what it is because of both. Yet I still love the game itself, probably because it's such a perfect TV product. The next guy I find who doesn't love big-screen HDTV Sunday afternoons in the easy chair will be the first.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I hate 99 percent of the crap spewed by NFL headquarters. I think the league actually believes the fate of western civilization rests with professional football.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You're on your own on this one, triple B.

I'm not much for all the pre-season stuff, but there is nothing better than a fall or winter Sunday afternoon/evening.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Then I guess you don't like any football above the high school level, because ALL big time football is first and foremost about entertainment. Doesn't mean it's not also sport.

And I guess you don't take ANY American sports seriously if you need promotion/relegation system, but I'm having a hard time seeing how that makes a sport more legitimate. Are you under the impression that Euro soccer leagues aren't about entertainment?

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Why go so far as to hate the NFL, 3B? I don't care for it, either, but why expend any more emotional capital on it than you need to?

It's much easier to, as I do with Nascar, MMA and all things New York, offer it blithe indifference while going about your business.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Aug. 9
    NFL - Tennessee vs. Buffalo on NBC (preseason) - 4.5 million viewers
    MLB - New York vs. Boston on ESPN (pennant race between bitter rivals) - 2.8 million viewers

Some people might hate the NFL, but it's the 800-pound gorilla in the world of sports right now. Nothing comes close to it.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

BB B, I have to agree with you in that some training camp story on a Wednesday taking up waaaaaay too much of SportsCenter vs. a key division baseball game drives me nuts.

But, we do have to admit that the news sources are giving the people what they want. It's the people who are idiots. Having covered the NFL, I know this first hand.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Who doesn't?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ding, ding

Draft saved Draft deleted