1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate the NFL. Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 24, 2009.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I realize it's heresy to say this among most 25-45 year old men in this country, but I hate the NFL. I particularly hate this time of year when stupid training camp stories and highlights of exhibition games start to take precedence over real, live baseball pennant race games

There's just something about the whole self-important aura surrounding the NFL, as if the fate of the world is hanging in the balance every Sunday.

Frankly, I think a lot of the explosion of the NFL over the past 10-15 years has to do with gambling, specifically fantasy leagues.

(It also bugs me that everyone gets so indignant about steroids in baseball, but no one seems to care about steroids in football. That's a whole other thread, though.)

I'll never forget an early September Sunday in 1998. I was in a sports bar with maybe only 15 other people, because it was early in the day. Mark McGwire was sitting on 60 homers. The bar that had one big TV in the center with sound, and a bunch of smaller ones around it with no sound. I asked the bartender if he could switch the Cardinals game to the TV with sound, just when McGwire came to bat. I got almost unanimous groans from the other people, including one guy who just grunted: "No. Football." Couldn't miss three plays of the second quarter of the season-opening Lions-Colts game.

That was the first moment when I figured I should just move to the Dominican Republic.

Anyone with me?

YGBFKM Guest

I hate posters who start whiny, self-indulgent threads. Who's with me?
  3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm shocked spnited didn't create this thread.

YGBFKM Guest

I hate spnited. Who's with me? :D
  5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Hey now, I think there were some good points made. I love the NFL, but preseason games are a joke to watch compared to a pennant race baseball game.
  6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hate Illinois Nazis
  7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I don't *hate* the NFL, but I do hate the over-importance on these meaningless preseason games and practices.
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

About 1 percent of the country. (in response to the thread title, not spnited.)

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm sure a lot more than 1% of the country hates the NFL. I'd also say 25-30% doesn't hate it, it just doesn't care.

I LIKE watching NFL games that mean something. I don't, however, plan my Sundays around any game or any sport.
    I HATE the bullshit hype that surrounds every game and every move a douchebag like Favre makes.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Of course more than 1 percent hates the NFL. You think I did some kind of in-depth research?

My point was....the people who hate the NFL are in the minority.

I happen to love the NFL. Not as much as college football, though.
  11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Blame ESPN.

There are pennant races that are being decided, and unless someone is hurt, there is no relevant NFL news for two more weeks.
  12. SigR

SigR Member

I like football, but I dislike football-as-entertainment instead of football-as-sport. I don't take any sport seriously that doesn't have a promotion/relegation system at very least.
Draft saved Draft deleted