1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate the flu

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TimmyP, Dec 12, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have only ever gotten the real flu when I got the shot. Otherwise, I get colds. So no vaccine for me!

TimmyP: Sucks about the 40 minutes. I fucking hate that.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I got the flu shot this year.

Then last week got hit with the nastiest flu ever. It did not start with the mundane, lethargy, achy feeling, want to lay down all day, then the sweats.

This one was weird muscle cramp at night in my hamstrings up into the lower buttocks. Then the weirdness hit, a headache with acute zaps to my brain, felt like electro shocks to my brain every 20 secs.

My physician said that was this nasty flu going around. Then I spent two days at home sleeping and watching NBATV after lunch.

I got the flu shot last year and no flu. Go figure.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Never had the flu. But the symptoms sound terrible (it makes you want to watch NBATV?).

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A ridiculous statement. The flu shot is the stupidest thing ever.

They're GIVING YOU THE FLU. On purpose. Then your body builds up the antibodies and you don't get the "worst of it." Meanwhile, you still end up feeling like shit for a couple of days while the "weaker" flu runs its course.

No thanks. I haven't gotten the flu in a decade, I'll be damned if I'm going to let some quack give it to me on purpose.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Haven't had the flu in about 15 years. The last time was brutal. And, yes, I get a shot.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is fantastic. (Gushing over multiple BTE posts today--maybe *I* have the flu! :D )

7. bigpern23

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You do realize that's how all vaccines work, right?

And when did doctors offering flu shots get billed as quacks? That's an awfully low bar for quackery.

9. bigpern23

Yes, I'm aware of how vaccines work. Polio? Sign me up. Smallpox? I'm in. If they develop an AIDS vaccine, I'll get two.

The flu? Why bother? It's not going to kill you (if you're not real young or old), you'll just feel like crap for a few days. And it seems everyone I know gets sick (albeit not as badly) when they get the shot. I'd rather take my chances.

And, generally speaking, I do have a low bar for quackery.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm 28 and I haven't been sick with anything on the nasty side of a cold since 8th grade. I've never had a flu shot.

Knocking on wood, over here.

I do frequently puke, most often only once, the morning after heavy drinking. That's a weird thing to me, because I won't always feel that hungover before, then it hits me, and I won't feel that hungover afterward.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Seattle Metropolitans would like a word.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten the flu when I haven't gotten the shot and I haven't gotten the shot when I have gotten the shot. The shot gives me peace of mind, though, so I get it. Got it today, in fact. I feel fine, aside from a teeny bit of soreness where I got the shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted