1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate the flu

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TimmyP, Dec 12, 2010.

1. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

So my 11-year-old and 8-year old get the flu last week, followed quickly by my wife and currently me.

The 11-year-old was first, and we ended up calling our doctor's after-hours service, and then they told us to get to urgent care, as he was going on about 20 hours of not being able to keep anything down (even a glass of water), and they were worried about dehydration and wanted to rule out an appendicitis. They ended up giving us some of the pills that are prescribed for cancer patients to help offset the sickness that comes with chemo.

The doctor told us that the strain of flu virus that is widespread right now is especially contagious and especially nasty. I can attest to that, after getting it myself. The rest of the family was over it, and the other night I woke up at about 4 a.m. and this thing kicked my ass like you wouldn't believe.

So if you're out and about and see someone who looks like crap and is obviously sick, run in the other direction.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Did you or members of your family get the flu vaccine?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The WORST thing about getting sick, to me, is the sheer exhaustion. Like just walking 4 steps gets you achy and out of breath. Doing the most mundane things knocks you on your ass for hours.

I love when getting a glass of orange juice makes me want to not move for three hours. Thanks.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Timmy, this same thing raced through my family the weekend after Thanksgiving. My nephew got sick at the big family gathering for the holiday. Within a week it had ravaged my sister, me, my parents, my three brothers, their wives and their kids. I had a Seinfeld-like streak of 20-plus vomit-free years ended. Although I only puked once (to quote Seinfeld: "As good as it gets."), there were plenty of other woes that came with it.

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

The other thing is that with the flu, there's little to do except wait it out. Everyone says "do this" or "try that," but all you really can do is lie on the couch or in bed and try to sleep.

I had a bad flu a couple years ago, and it really was one of the most miserable illnesses I've had (and I've had some doozies).

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

That's my No. 1 pet peeve, MightyMouse. My wife is big on pumping yourself full of pills when you're sick, even though she knows it doesn't help the actual virus, just the symptoms. So when I get back from one of my urgent trips to the bathroom on Saturday morning, waiting by my side of the bed was a box of Immodium and a box of Nyquil. I love her for taking care of me, but I'd just rather let it run its course. Not having diarrhea doesn't mean anything if I still feel like crap.

At one point, IJAG, I woke up at about 3 a.m. and thought I may need to go to the bathroom (non-urgent). I kicked my feet over the edge of the bed and sat up, and it was literally 40 minutes (I was staring at the clock most of the time) before I had the energy to walk 30 feet to the bathroom.

For Noonelikes us, none of us got the flu vaccine. None of us has ever gotten it, and this is probably the first time in 4 years or so that the flu has hit any of us.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

My state is now mandating the flu vaccine for all kids enrolled in school of any kind, including private school, including preschool.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

These days if you don't get a flu shot, you're insane. I think I've gotten one the last 8-9 years and I couldn't tell you the last time I had the flu.

Colds? Sure... Bronchitis? Yup. But not the flu. A $20 shot that you can get at any Wal-mart or Walgreens would seem to be a no-brainer.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've never got the flu shot and I know I should since I work with the public so much. Between my retail gig and covering preps I feel like I'm a magnet for this junk.

I ususally get hit with a nasty flu every other year. Last year my ass was kicked the night before Thanksgiving, when I slept for 18 straight hours. This year I had some combination of a cold and bronchitis that made me cough nonstop. Six weeks later I'm still coughing.

I'm terrified of stomach bugs because I had surgery on my esophagus when I was 15 and and it's medically impossible for me to throw up. When I get a flu it can only go out one way. Not only does it wreak havoc, but it usually takes much longer to get over. TMI, I know.

10. CRR13

CRR13 Member

Getting the flu shot today after reading your stories.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are there people out there discussing the positive aspects of having the flu?
    Is this akin to politicians claiming to be anti-crime or pro-education?

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The flu is another of those lefty myths they use to get bigger government. And don't get me started about them messing with my precious bodily fluids!

Draft saved Draft deleted