1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate tee ball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 5, 2015.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Keeping score, much less having umps, for a t-ball game is ridiculous. Any in our town, if you hear lightning in any outdoor sport, the field is cleared until 30 minutes after it passes.

EStreetJoe likes this.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Umpires for a t-ball game are a bit much. I guess I'm ok with keeping score, but I'm not ok with anyone over five actually caring about the score or who wins or the standings.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'd love to keep score for T-ball.

Each kid: Four at bats, four singles, four runs scored. 1.000 batting average... Everybody gets ice cream!

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Exactly. I ran the local Challenger Division for 14 years and I had one of the high school buddies pitch and I caught so I could show the kids how to hold the bat and stand in the box. Everybody swung until they hit the ball and then the last batter hit a bases-clearing homer even if only traveled 13 feet.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

When my second son was in tee ball a fear years ago his coach decided to keep score, just to see how the games went. Again, other than the singles only rule, everything else is mostly normal in our league including if a team gets three outs the inning is over. I hated that he did that because all it did was have the kids come up to whoever was keeping track about a million times an inning each asking what the score was. I don't necessarily think the kids shouldn't care. It was just annoying and they weren't really paying attention to anything else as a result.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The first year the kids go to 60-foot mounds in parks and rec baseball is vastly underrated for shittiness.

When my oldest hit that league, they were scheduling no-time limit games starting at 7 p.m. on weeknights. Painful, especially if you had two games in a week and teams were running out of actual effective pitchers.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

All 3 coaches for my oldest goddaughter's softball team quit yesterday. For the best. Massive riff between them and the parents.

Someone asked if I wanted to take over ... meet Coach Songbird.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Excellent!

Starman consults for the low low rate of $50 an hour.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm in a "D" state ... he'll jack his prices to $75/hour.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm always willing to help a fellow moocher. $49.95 an hour.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Now you truly will be able to cost kids scholarships.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Witnessed a rare occurrence. When driving past a little league field, I've never seen the batter hit the ball. Usually the pitch goes to the backstop with the catcher chasing. The other day, I actually saw the batter hit the ball, a grounder to shortstop. Kid fielded it cleanly then fired it 10 feet over the first baseman's head. As I drove away, the first baseman was still chasing it over in the picnic area.

Draft saved Draft deleted