1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate tee ball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 5, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Actually, I love the kids on my daughter's team. But I do not like the league we are in. Tonight is the first game, first pitch scheduled for 7:50 pm ... for 5- and 6-year-olds.

Who the hell schedules kindergarteners to be playing ball that late?

Last year, we had a team of 4- and 5-year-olds. We had one 6-year-old, so the league wouldn't let us play in the Starter division - even though none of the kids had played before.

(And the paper never covers her games and are going to cost her a scholarship!)

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think the SJ style guide warrants Starmanesque descriptions of kids sports, the enjoyable play by play not the Starman justice and colorful language :)

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Kids are 5 and 6, there are bound to be a lot of moms in their mid to late 20s.

You'll like it.

doctorquant likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9:45 and the kiddo has been asleep for about 20 minutes. 6:45 is going to come damn early.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just wait until the T-ball team from the next town over challenges you to a game. With score not kept, of course.

And then when they lose, they want to make it 2 out of 3.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Wife got a call from brother in law who heard we were going to be in his neck of the woods next weekend. He invites us to see the nephew play T-ball at 9 a.m. That's fine, except we won't get into town until late after a 6 hour drive. It's going to be a rough hour or so.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the greatest headline in Onion history.

"Special Olympics T-ball stand pitches perfect game"

expendable and Vombatus like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That's a headline that couldn't be written today :D

old_tony likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My favorite parent from my son's t-ball team last year was the mom who sent a group e-mail asking why her son was limited to only singles when he hits the ball so far.

The good/bad news is that this year, all games for 1st grade baseball are at 10:00 a.m. on Saturdays. It's a great time to play and if my daughter doesn't have sports, we are done with games by 11:30. The bad part is that it cuts into my EPL viewing. And it's excruciating to watch.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think the same thing about EPL.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I had to look up what EPL is. So, you know, I got you beat, vombat, which rhymes with wombat, which is a marsupial native to Australia.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I realize that Tee ball has to be handled differently then other levels of baseball, but there seems to be no end to it.

When I played a zillion years ago, everybody on each team got to be up each inning. Hard to argue with that one. These days it's, "Nobody is out. Everybody gets to first base (but no further) on a hit/strikeout/foul ball, etc... and everybody gets to score."

Meanwhile, in youth basketball and football, even when they don't keep score, the game actually still seems fun and competitive.

Draft saved Draft deleted