1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate snow, volume whatever the hell number it is....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Lots of people complain about driving in snow and ice. I never had much of a problem. Two words: SLOW DOWN!! That will solve 80 percent of your problems right there. Another 10 percent can be solved by avoiding large hills whenever possible.

I enjoy covering winter sports: skating, skiing, even snowmobile racing. Can you say Iditarod? And I love walking outside with the crunch of snow under my feet, seeing my breath in the air and the sounds of skates carving up the ice at the rink. It's just a refreshing, invigorating feel.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You've had more than your share of strange weather, PC. Besides the relatively cold winter, wasn't 2012 the year of the dust storms from hell?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

That pic is nuts. Snow is coming my way tomorrow, but that's expected here.

When I lived in the Valley of the Sun the first time I saw a dust storm rolling in it was a tad freaky.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

oh we have a couple of Thursday games that are in some out of the way places that we're pretty sure aren't happening. Time to dig up a feature or something so that we'll have some local content on B1

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It was. We get dust storms every year, but there were a few last year that were far worse than any I'd seen before.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Back in 1983, I was in Memphis for the Liberty Bowl and they had a cold snap, including an ice followed by snow storm. The good folks there had the theory that if they drove more quickly over the ice, they'd reduce their danger of slipping on it. The interstates looked like the aftermath of some army's retreat, with vehicles of all sorts off the roads in various states of damage about every 200 yards.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not for nothing but "every other jackass" thinks he knows how to drive in the snow and ice and that you and the rest of them are jackasses. Put them all on the Beltway and you see what happens.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Those cute little rear-wheel drive BMW's they all seem to like to drive in DC are damn near useless in snow.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I was driving 25 mph in a 35 yesterday. Roads weren't bad, but still plenty of snow/slush on it. Some fucking pickup, going at least 40, whipped around me like he was in the Indy 500. I know he had a bad-ass pickup and all, but snow doesn't give two ounces of shit what kind of car you drive. You will slide/wreck at some point driving like that.

We've gotten so much snow here that our dogs had to hop outside. They can't walk because it's a wall of snow at their eye level.

10. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I have to admit I am one of those a-holes that will be passing everyone on the highway when the snow is on the road. I have been driving in this shit for almost 30 years and know what I'm doing. The dangerous people are the ones that drive so cautiously they make everyone around them jam on their brakes every 20 feet.

Living in the Midwest I look at it as a trade-off...the snow in the winter makes me appreciate the sunny, 75 degree days in June that much more.

11. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

This is the bullshit I hate about this crap....listening to the local TV coverage making utter stooges out of its reporters. When it started here, it was an early morning snow that lightened up as the morning went on...all at about 33 degrees. The anchor kept talking about "deteriorating conditions" while checking in with on location reporters in their cars with a camera on traffic ahead of them...all roads wet but traffic flowing at regular speed....and these people were having to spin what the anchor was saying into something relevant even as the visuals were saying anything but deteriorating. The only thing deteriorating was the coverage, which as evening arrived, found them on "less traveled city streets" where traffic was again flowing regularly. At that point, the pitch switched to "puddles" which represented "melting snow" which could cause "hydroplaning." That's shit you don't hear during spring storms. Finally the weather guy comes on and after stammering through the excuse why his projection of a winter disaster didn't occur, spent five minutes showing pictures sent in of viewers of the minor snow "that while not a serious storm, sure gave us some nice scenery." God help this version of media.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Humidity has never caused some moron driving ahead of me to spin out on a highway, either. The dude ahead of me two months ago is lucky I know how to drive in this shit, because he surely doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted