1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate snow -- Season 2012-13

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Oct 5, 2012.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

If you hate snow and live in the lower 48, root for a strong El Nino. That tends to keep the north arm of the jetstream at the northern end of its "territory" meaning a larger fraction of precipitation will fall as rain instead of snow/sleet/ice.

Why don't they print the water temperatures about 10 miles offshore from Lima and Santiago? Enquiring minds want to know...

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Cold? Not much of an issue until the extremes are in play. What most bark about being cold, I think is usually comfortable.

Snow? Yeah ... don't miss it after digging out of it for three years. The tradeoff for summers that weren't bad at all wasn't quite worth it. What struck me was that the area knew it got snow, but its idea of clearing roads was a joke. Almost Eastern North Carolina bad ... and that's not a compliment.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

America in general is purposefully kept in the dark about ongoing ENSO trends because the more information they disseminate, the more chance their predictions look ridiculous. I am an avid follower of weather in general, including El Nino/La Nina. We may think Bleacher Report is bad, but the weather world is a whole lot better since amateurs have been able to communicate, rather than just relying on NWS obfuscation all the time.

Edit: And yes I read the diagnostic discussion every week, etc., but let's not kid ourselves on the difference between making information "available" and actually publicizing it.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Was in Denver Wednesday and Thursday of this week. Going back on Monday.

Wake up Thursday morning to 3-4 inches of snow on the ground.....out to DIA.....it was fucking chaos. Wrecks every damn where. And this is just a little fart of a snowstorm......nothing like the big dumping blizzards they get.......

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, lots of skidding and spin-outs. And lots of leaves now on the ground clogging up gutters. Had another 2 inches overnight. It'll be gone by tomorrow.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good. Cause I will be back out there Monday.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually, it's pretty much all gone today. And we'll be back into the 60s next week, with a push toward 70 on Wednesday.

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My mom taught in the New York City public school system, which maybe closed twice due to weather -- one blizzard, one hurricane -- during my entire academic career. If the city bus wasn't running, I'd go to her school. That rarely happened, and I can't recall her staying home due to snow.

I wouldn't mind snow if I didn't have to drive -- particularly to work. It's almost always worse by the office than where I live. That white-knuckled drive home through the hills... yeah, you can keep it.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Two La Nina winters in a row have absolute,ly sucked in the PNW. Winter until June almost.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've had my rat terrier for almost four years. She hates rain, much less snow so in the winter, I buy puppy pads and leave them by the back door. Then I put then in a trash can just outside so I don't have to deal with the odor.

The Boston mix loooooooooooooooooooooves the snow:

Draft saved Draft deleted