1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Hate Snow, Part Whatever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jan 30, 2010.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's gonna be 46 here tomorrow, so I'll get a chance to get all the ice off the driveway.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Welcome to North Carolina. Ice does suck unless it's in your beverage glass.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have to say I've never heard of anyone disappointed at missing a swim meet.

To me its the worst spectator sport going. Sauna like conditions, limited seating, long waits between events, strong chance of missing the event you were there to see because everyone looks the same.

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Ahhh Hell....

Just enjoy it!

A bunch of friends and I gathered at the park this morning and went "SLEDDING" and I use that term loosely because we went down the hill on...

1 — A kayak with paddles which was fast as shit
    2 — An air-matress which provided cushion
    3 — A boogie-board which was awesome going head-first
    4 — A saucer-sled which led to a trip to the ER for the girl from New Orleans who'd never done this before.

Bottom line: The Kayak rocked!!!

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Try treating the bottom of those bad boys with RainX before heading out.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I wouldn't go just to go but it is my kid. Even at 23. I can pick her out of the crowd. I watch her swim, I read some between events, I visit with her. Five hours later it is over and we go get lunch and then we head home.
    Except not today.

Beautiful blue skies today and a foot of snow on the ground.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Some of us love snow. Just back from Big Sky where I was blessed with 18 inches of fresh powder for a long weekend of skiing. Back home in the northern hinterland of Wisconsin, we could use a little more of the white stuff to make the skiing adn sledding even better.

As for shovelling, there are few things in my life that have a beginning and an end. There is nothing better than looking at clean driveway and a task complete.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not fast enough...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Blue skies and a foot of snow on the ground" describes an almost perfect day.

I'm with Doc on shovelling snow (as long as it's not the heavy wet stuff)

It's one of those mindless chores--similar to weeding the vegetable garden--that is amazingly peaceful and therapeutic at the same time.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And then you watch the sun slowly melt, then dry, the little bit you left over.

Took an hour, but mine is done.

11. Moderator1

Shoveling a gravel driveway is problematic, so I don't.
    Shoveling the walk could give me The Big One, so I don't.
    Have no where to go today, work from home tomorrow and teach on Tuesday. So it will wait.

It IS a pretty day, I'll give it that. Now, if it would just get up and go when I'm tired of looking at it, the world would indeed be perfect.

12. Moderator1

Cars are cleared off. Went out back with the dogs and they love this stuff. They're dogs, what do they know. At least they're worn out, and so am I.

My son and his buds conveniently got themselves "stranded" in a downtown hotel over the weekend, within walking distance of lots of bars (all open but very slow, he reported). He's on he way home now. Said 95 was just fine. I told him it would take as long to get from the exit to the ranch (about two miles) as it did to go from entry to exit of 95 (about 20 miles). The Queen, who teaches in a rural district, is looking at much of the week off.

Did I mention I hate this shit?

Draft saved Draft deleted