1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate shopping for blue jeans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 9, 2010.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I'm comfortable in Wrangler. Real comfortable.

2. Would you pay that much for dress pants?

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I usually do an excellent job bargain hunting, but I normally go about $75-125 for nice dress pants.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lordy, I just realized I dress like a hobo or something.
    $125 for dress pants?
    I didn't know Dockers came that expensive.

And inky, you have a wife, have her buy your jeans.

5. See, that's what I think is interesting. That people are willing to spend that much for dress pants, but balk at $50 for jeans, which they are seen in way more often. I guess you can say that it's easier to find cheaper jeans that look just as nice, but tougher to do that with dress pants.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Negative. She'd have me wearing the latest style in jeans in some dark navy wash, not classic blue jeans.

Anyway, I ducked into a local outdoors store during lunch. They had Carhartt jeans on sale for $22. So I bought a pair. I almost went with Wranglers ($17), but preferred the way the Carhartt's fit. Yes, I tried them on.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Well -- I wear dress pants in a work environment or to a nicer event, so it is more important that they look nice. Gap jeans are high quality and look nice. The Lucky jeans which I have retailed at $200 or so and I don't think are certainly not better made and I think are no nicer (although Mrs. W disagrees on the latter).

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Available at MAcy's and Bamberger's, so you know they're good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I get the Wrangler Hero jeans at Target. Durable enough for me, inexpensive.

Levi's at Target seem to be about the same feel as the Wranglers but cost $10-$15 more. Nobody notices the difference.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Gah it's so much easier to be a guy. You can't find nice girls jeans for less than $150. And for those of us who are vertically challenged, they think every woman has to be as tall as Tyra Banks, so I have to get virtually all of my pants hemmed or I'd be walking all over them. Even so-called "petite" jeans are too long for me 75 percent of the time.

Usually when I get done jeans shopping (read: give up on jeans shopping), I'm cursing every single person who has ever made blue jeans because I've found maybe two or three pairs in the last 10 years that were the right length, that fit me around the waist and butt without needing a belt and that were decently priced. And I've done a lot of jeans shopping.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I used to get them at the Geoffrey Beene outlet for $20, but then they switched styles. I've since turned to L.L. Bean's Adirondack jeans which are around the same price.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jeez. I need to get out more. They really make jeans that cost that much? Even full-priced Luckys aren't that expensive.

You tried Lucky? My wife isn't a "shortie" but she has jeans fitting issues, too. She loves her Luckys.

Draft saved Draft deleted