1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate shopping for blue jeans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My Sam's has Levi's for 20 bucks - not sure of the "number" but they're not the boot cut or "slim fit" or any of that nonsense.

Find a Lucky and get a pair of their jeans on a half-price sale. Even at half off, they're more expensive than most. I'd never pay full price. I never thought I'd pay as much as 40. But they're comfortable as hell and hold up extremely well. My son called me a jeans snob until he tried on a pair. Then he went and got two for the price of one.

Levis still rule the roost. I used to wear Lee when I was younger but I can't find them anymore.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I wear the $15 relaxed fit Wranglers from Wal-Mart. They look jeans are supposed to look. I can't stand all this grunge wash or filthy wash or whatever it is most things come in these days. I used to wear Levis and Gap, but they got too expensive for my tastes. I wore Old Navy for a number of years with good results, but they mostly carry those crappy washes already mentioned.

Here's a challenge, try to find a pair of jeans actually made in the U.S. that don't cost about $75. The last time I needed a pair I searched but with no luck.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Levis all the way for me. The 550 and 560 is OK, but they are too loose for me. I'll go 505 which is just a good, old fit everytime (and unlike the 501, none of that stupid button fly stuff). I usually expect to pay $30 or $35 for a pair of them, but I haven't bought in a while. I don't consider them dressy. More get around pants.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I too like Wranglers, but the end of the legs seem to shred easily.

5. ripple

ripple Member

Your entire post described Levi's to me.
    Once you find a fit that, well, fits, you can get them at denimexpress.com.

For me, it's 569. Loose and Straight (there's a joke in there somewhere)

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

try these: All made in America and around $35

http://www.allamericanclothing.com/bottoms.html

disclaimer: I have not tried these yet. Stil with Levis.

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Couldn't agree with you more about Lucky. I'm normally a Levis guy, but I got a pair of Lucky and a pair of Buffalo jeans at Costco a few months ago, and they are both incredibly comfy. They're regularly $75-$90, but Costco had them for $39.99 each, I think.

If you have a Kohl's near you, they have a great selection of jeans, and they always have good sales, plus you always get an additional 15% to 30% off if you use your Kohl's card.

8. Dudes, splurge for $40 or $50 or so, at least (I would say a lot more, but small victories ...). These are jeans, the cornerstone to your everyday wardrobe, not a pair of pajama pants. I think there's some psychological barrier to spending the same money on jeans as you would on dress pants. Abandon that. They are respectable enough items of clothing in 2010 that you can spend a little more for a nice-looking, well-fitting pair.

But, to answer the original question, you can't go wrong with Levi's. I mean, don't wear them with a sports coat. But as a pair of functional jeans, they are way nicer for the extra $10 than some Wal-Mart brand.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You should find out where Peter King gets his jeans.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've worn Gap jeans forever and they are my everyday jeans.

For nicer jeans, I've gone to the Lucky Brand outlet. I can't possibly see paying $125-150 for jeans, but I've picked up a couple of nice pairs for under $60 there.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted