1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate politics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pilot, Jun 5, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Regarding the post that started this thread -- while it is a despicable distortion, it is easy enough to ignore. And people do ignore it. Of everyone going to the polls across the nation today, I would guess that fewer than 1 percent of the people even know that this thing happened.

People who check all the websites and are constantly up to date on the latest political back-and-forth might be better informed. Notice I said "might be," because I'm not sure that knowing every little blow-by-blow adds to the quality of your own decision-making. But those people are a lot angrier about politics too. I've found that since I shut off all the outside reading (the Scott Walker situation had become an obsession for a time) and stopped going to Daily Kos and PowerLine (formerly my #1 site for opposition research), I am much more relaxed about all of this stuff. And as invested as I was in the outcomes of the last two presidential elections, the truth is that my life was not ruined by W. getting a second term and it has not appreciably improved by virtue of Obama being in office.

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. And not knowing that this thing is happening regarding what someone once said about Gabrielle Giffords is certainly not going to make a voter less able to reach decisions about any issues today.

Tune it out.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which also consisted of a 1 percenter bringing in a 99 percenter's kid to live in their house.

So, the moral of the strips today should be, "I want to live in Trump's house!"

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The only idea I've recently had for a book or regularly updating blog is one that devotes itself to comparing modern day "this is the worst it's ever been" talk to historic examples to try and gauge how unique the current rendition really is, politics, weather, economy or whatever.

Maybe I'll quit my job and focus on that. What could possibly go wrong?

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Obviously Giffords would've won in an all-time landslide. And yet she chose not to run in a race she would've won, because she felt it wasn't the right thing to do for her and her constituents. She's an admirable person.

Draft saved Draft deleted