1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate politics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pilot, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/04/out-of-context-but-in-the-campaign-candidate-calls-gabby-giffords-hero-of-nothing/

Yes, they all do it. They all make campaign commercials that drastically misrepresent people's points or take comments miles and miles out of context, or simply make up bullshit and hope it sticks. They did it to Kerry and I've seen Romney ads that do it to Obama, and I'm sure it's been done or will be done to Romney.

This is an awfully egregious example. The best part is the ass clown who ran the ad -- a PAC, of course, not the candidate -- defends it as fair.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You hate politics? More for me, then.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's pretty ridiculous.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Our politics have gotten so screwed up that one party's "outrage" is another party's reason to vote for someone.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Kelly's a typical Zona "What? Pay taxes?" business-toady yahoo. He should stick to his day job . . . he seems to be doing just fine, there.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think the general population was pretty partisan back then. Newspapers helped stoke the flames of the literate, who would in turn get the illiterate worked up.

With more information and opinion available, we as a society are getting back to our roots.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's always been that way.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you've ever even been forced to watch "Annie," you get a pretty good idea of how this has always gone. Our 1-vs.-99 debate has nothing on the Depression-era 1 percenters, who hated FDR more passionately than the current crop hates Obama. The actual strip that was the basis of the movie consisted of a rich dude telling poor people that they aren't working hard enough to lift themselves out of the Depression.

The one big difference is that private lives are no longer off limits. There have been some exceptions (Jefferson notably), but for the most part, the stuff that felled Gary Hart and threatened Clinton's first campaign was unspeakable. That makes things look a lot more personal, I suppose.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The big difference is the electorate is dumber than it ever has been.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108345/Are-Americans-dumb-democracy-Scientists-claim-voters-lack-sophistication-recognize-good-ideas.html

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That link says nothing about the electorate getting dumber.

And it just isn't true, anyway. I don't think a lot of people understand just how dumb the average citizen of the past was.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Nothing inaccurate about that.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think that's the biggest turnoff. If you are running for office, tell us something YOU have done or propose to do and quit running down someone else.

As it is, a lot of voters figure out who they think is the lesser of two (or more) evils and don't feel good about the person they just voted for.

Draft saved Draft deleted