1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Hate PBS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jan 2, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The local PBS station is running show, Don McLean: American Troubadour.

And, of course, they're fundraising during it.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I watch PBS as much or more than anything else. Love This Old House/Ask This Old House, Cook's Country/America's Test Kitchen, Nova, Austin City Limits, the nature documentaries, Charlie Rose and a few other things. I'm sure I'd love Downton Abbey if I watched it.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So our tax dollars should pay for all of it? Is that your suggestion?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC & I are Downton Abbey freaks.

The Buffalo PBS markets as much to Canucks in SW Ontario as Western New Yorkers.

And great docs.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Hope you're enjoying this concert. For a donation of $150, we'll send you the DVD.

Or, I'll find it at Amazon for $18. But thanks.

6. The local NPR station has a good deal during its fundraising. A family day pass to an amusement park for a $120. I'll pass on the tote bag and coffee mug, though.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I love the Dick Proenneke stuff, even though Ancient Aliens did help him build his place.

8. Canadian satellite and cable companies also "steal" the signals of U.S. broadcast stations. Down here, cable and satellite companies have to pay for those channels.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/canadas-been-stealing-us-signals-why-change-now/article5143991/

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yankee, are you saying the only time PBS has anything good on is during the pledge drives?

If so, I vehemently disagree. There's great stuff on there all the time. Nova, History Detectives, American Experience, Frontline, the Britcoms that run late at night on the weekends...

I can handle the pledge drives every once in while considering what they deliver on a regular basis.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, they only seem to run these music programs during pledge drives.

And, they tell me that, "if I want to see more programming like this," I should give.

Well, obviously these programs raise money, otherwise they wouldn't run them during pledge drives. So, why not give me "more programming like this"?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's a fair point. They should do a pledge drive during Downtown Abbey.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

They do.

Draft saved Draft deleted