1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Hate PBS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jan 2, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So ... you never watch PBS during the year, then complain that they have commercials when you watch it?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

PBS does Sesame Street, and with my 11-month old, I will buy enough Elmo and Abby items to keep them afloat for a few more months.

FYI, the world stops for Lil 93 when SS pops on and she hears Elmo's voice. It's the only show she turns her head for.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Mrs EStreet can't stand Elmo. She's a fan of Grover and believes the rise of Elmo meant the decline of Grover's time spent on SS.
    Thankfully Grover gets plenty of time on Play With me Sesame on Sprout.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

American Experience, Frontline, Nature, NOVA, Masterpiece, Austin City Limits -- and the Dayton system (thinktv.com, which I've become devoted to over the Cincinnati and Ky PBS affils) plays some pretty great shows from the UK like Kingdom, Doc Martin, Rosemary & Thyme, Poirot.
    And you have to put up with them asking for donations? How dare they...

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You do realize most of its revenues come from private membership donations and grants -- youknow, Viewers Like You. Without the pledge drives there is none of this.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I realize that, and understand it. What I hate is when they do the pledge drive during the cartoons. My kids don't understand why Cyberchase is getting interupted by a group of adults talking with a phone number on the screen.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That would be a pain in the ass for a child. I can remember Nova commercials from the '70s, in between Sesame Street, and was scared by it. Creepy music, photos of black holes ... where did Mr. Hooper go?

PBS is the remaining bastion of purity on TV. If you want to watch the Doors, kick in a buck. Or buy a toque. If you don't like it, put on Fox and hope for the best.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ask This Old House and This Old House are tops in my book too.

But I understand the complaint. Years ago my local PBS stations would show a Grateful Dead concert during fundraisers. I was always tickled by them asking for a $200 donation for a tie-dyed shirt.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

its like 85-90 percent of its revenue. the remaining cash is raised from underwriters, companies that pay for a part of the programming (and get a tax write off in the process) One cannot talk about PBS and leave off The news with Jim Lehrer.

10. Baron Scicluna

Antiques Roadshow is one I enjoy. I'm always hoping to find some painting at a garage sale that's actually worth $100,000.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I was devastated when they told me my Pickasso wasn't worth anything.

12. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, they weren't too impressed with my painting by Leonardo de Twinkie, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted