1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i hate opryland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HoopsMcCann, Dec 6, 2007.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

The Gaylord Opryland Resort Hotel and Convention Center is the worst place ever. I went twice for winter meetings, but was smarter the second time.

I had my room changed from the media block so that it was right down the hall from the ballrooms where the media centre etc. are, so less leg work. No walking two miles back and forth five times a day.

If there are any groupies at the winter meetings, you can't find them there. There are like five different lobbies in the place.

What was that experimental thing awhile back where a group of people were inside a big bubble/sphere for a long, long time (my memory is failing; I know it's a famous thing)? That's what this place is. You walk in. Five days later, you walk out. Like rats in a cage, or maze.

Sometimes I would just find an exit door and stick my head outside for 10 seconds, just to breathe some actual real, polluted, outside air.

There's actually an artificial creek running through the place, and boats filled with old people actually take a boat ride around. So I guess we're all breathing the gas fumes from these boats, too, because they have nowhere to escape. This is indoors. It's just as lame as can be. I think, for some unknown reason, this is actually a tourist destination and people come from Arkansas or wherever and come TO the "resort" for a nice weekend away. Seriously. I'd say it's quintessentially American, but that would be to insult the many Americans who have taste.

I can't even remember to this day whether it's in Nashville or Memphis (I know, but I keep forgetting). I know that the last time, I actually booked my flight to the other of the two cities, and realized this two days before I left. ...

The best location for the winter meetings was a couple years ago in New Orleans. Hands down. I think there was a Bowl game going on, too. North Texas State (or some such) and all of its crazy-nuts yahoo supporters were in the hotel, the marching band would just troop around the lobby at various intervals. And, of course, there was the food ...

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My feelings exactly. I liked Beale St. but the other parts of the city I visited were very sketchy. Never got that vibe in Nashville (although I thought Printer's Alley was pretty shady).

3. KG

KG Active Member

I forgot all about the amusement park. That's where we went for our "senior trip" in high school. The only thing I can recall about it right now was this indoor roller coaster (Chaos) with a laser show at the beginning of the ride. I wonder where that one ended up being moved to.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Smart move. Opryland is a city in itself. You could probably walk around that hotel day and night and still not see everything.

5. I don't think there's much middle class in Memphis. Neighborhoods are either really nice (the far east side, Germantown, Bartlett, etc.) or really crappy (most of the city).

Overall, if I didn't have friends who lived there and if it wasn't on Tunica's doorstep, I'd never return.

As far as Opryland, the hotel itself (room quality, service, etc.) is excellent. I can see where the other stuff can be, to say the least, kitschy.

I remember going to the amusement park when I was a kid -- it was OK. We also saw the Opry live (but it was a matinee, not the Friday or Saturday night show). I believe the Opry now is held at the Ryman for 2-3 months of the year.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hoops - I thought that was you stumbling around Jack Daniels. I did not find the place that bad. The Old Hickory steakhouse put out a fine porterhouse and had a pretty solid wine list. Gym was complete and they did not hit you up for that extra $25 per to use it.

Everytime I walked outside the place Leyland was there smoking. I can' t imagine what the guy's lungs must look like.

Place had a bit of a weird vibe. You had all the baseball types combined with the nice folks coming in from the country for their Christmas at the grand ole opery experience and a new toaster cover.It has a bit of "will you look at that Ethel" feel to it.

After a few Grey Gooses the circuliar bar at Cascades got a little dicey.

As always though best place to hang was the lobby.

I can never figure out why Frank Thomas always shows up. He must be lobbying for future HOF votes.

I never did find where they put the Menora.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

[​IMG]

8. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Thanks. Senior moment :D

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Anyone who isn't from Memphis and actually prefers Memphis to Nashville weirds me out.

I love Beale. I love AutoZone Park. I love the barbecue.

But Nashville is sooooooooo much better than Memphis.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What about the music? Which is better?

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

one of my best friends made it his goal not to go out of 'the biodome' from sunday night until this afternoon. and he did it, easily. sometimes i had to go outside just to get real air.

didn't make it to the steakhouse, everything else was mediocre

checked out my buddy's room and it was shitty. had peeling wallpaper, looked crappy.

i stayed downtown at the renaissance and it was fantastic. had a corner room with a flat screen in the bathroom. it was actually nice to get out every once in a while. the drive helped just to not feel like i was there

boom, wasn't at jack daniels much. preferred the lobby and that whole area

lots and lots and lots of walking

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

A lot of good bands have come out of Nashville lately ... and not modern country music.

Draft saved Draft deleted