1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate my recorder

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Mediator

Mediator Member

I love the iTalk app as well, but it depends on a wireless connection to synch the files to your computer which can be a hassle. I mostly use the TuneTalk radio attachment for iPods, which records stereo quality sound that you can turn into MP3 files or a website, or even send files to your desk if they need a rail quote during big event coverage.

There is a free program you can download, Audacity, to edit the audio files on your laptop.

2. Speedbump

Speedbump New Member

I have been burned far too many times not to write even a few chicken scratches in a notebook. But when it comes to recorders, the best digital for the money is the Olympus that has the built in USB adapter (its called USB direct). You never have to carry cables, worry about compatibility or install software. And it allows you to listen directly to the recorder or listen to the audio on your computer as you are writing/transcribing/otherwise missing deadline.

Plus, because it is built like a USB drive, you can move photos and documents onto the recorder for transport or safekeeping. This is great when you are working on a large-scale project with lots of moving parts. You can keep everything together a lot easier. And it takes just a single AAA.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Never thought of using my Olympus to carry photos. I'll have to try that one.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I second that. I use my digital recorder as back-up to written notes. I have an Olympus my dad got me last year for my birthday. It's survived an unplanned trip through the washing machine (don't recommend that) and was lost for a while. Found it under the recliner, with the buttons a bit altered. Still works, but if you try to rewind just a few seconds it will often to the start.

5. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

It's the only thing I use and I'm a reporter at a daily. Used it to cover the NBA finals, worked great. The NASCAR example seems a little extreme, and in that case it still works as a normal recorder. You don't have to actually be writing for it to record.

You can even share your audio/notes w/others. Here's an example, I was sitting in the back row at the Magic-Sixers post game press conference. You can use your mouse to jump around on the page. It works better if you expand to full screen.

http://www.livescribe.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/LDApp.woa/wa/MLSOverviewPage?sid=7Fw2f9JfmfL7

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hope you never find out how un-extreme it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted