1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate my recorder

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My 4-year-old destroyed the battery contacts of my recorder. It was my personal one and luckily my shop sprung for a new one.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I bought an Olympus five or six years ago, and three years ago bought an RCA because of the increased record space. It was a piece of shit. It dropped a really important interview, so I purchased another Olympus, and haven't had an issue since. My Blackberry also has a record function, but the audio isn't near the quality of my Olympus, but it's good to know I have a back-up if I leave the Olympus at the office.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just got a BlackBerry. It has like a zillion functions. It is taking a leak for me now while I type this.

Invent me a foolproof recorder - tape or digital - and I will make you a zillionaire. They all fuck up now and then. Pitfall of the job.

Running out of batteries? Your own damn fault. Always have a spare pair handy and always put in a fresh set if it has been a while since you changed them. Batteries are not that expensive.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Buy rechargeables. Keep 'em charged. Have a spare set of charged batteries with you. If you think it's been a while since you swapped batteries, that's a damn good reason to go ahead and swap in a freshly-charged set before you get into the field.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have about a dozen rechargables and you can usually find a charger plugged in somewhere in the house. One thing I've found is digitals absolutely chug the rechargables. They're good for one set of interviews and then it is time to charge again.
    Those 10-buck-for-four lithium superduper ion powered steroid fueled AAA batteries last for freaking ever.

6. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

What mike did you pick up, and where's a link to it?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And during the winter, don't keep the recorder in your car. One cold night and the batteries are dead.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

http://www.iphonebuzz.com/mini-microphone-for-iphone-236287.php

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I hate the digital recorders. The one RCA I had would always cue back to the beginning of the interview instead of just going back to the 10 seconds I wanted to make sure I heard right. Also, why did they put the record light next to the mike? I had about 5 or 6 interviews that never got recorded because I couldn't tell the recorder wasn't recording.

But the worst was when someone broke into the newspaper office overnight and took my briefcase, which had my tape player in it with the interview I needed that morning. Fortunately, the coach was available and we did the interview again over the phone.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

When I speak to journalist aspirants, I give them the following rules of engagement:

1. Don't major in journalism. Major in a subject you really like and work for the school paper, work for the SID as a student assistant, and/or freelance for a local paper. (I did all three).
    2. Learn shorthand.
    3. Always carry extra batteries.

My favorite tape recorder story, if you can call it that, concerns Lee Trevino. I was working on a book and spent about 30 minutes talking to him on the practice range at a tournament. Great stuff. I get back to the press room, stick the earphone in to transcribe, and . . . zilch. Dead batteries, and I hadn't even used them much. I grabbed two new ones, ran back out to the range and Trevino was still there. He sees me and says without missing a beat, "What was it, the cassette or the batteries?" We did the whole thing again, and he was even better second time around, and contrary to what you might think, Trevino isn't always in happy-interview mode. It probably helps that I had interviewed him at least a dozen times over the previous 20 years.

11. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

For what it's worth, I've had a Sony digital for 5-6 years, zero problems. Good sound quality. My iPhone recorder has even better sound quality, but if I'm unable to transfer the files to my laptop, then that play/pause control is a booger.

One night after covering a prep basketball game, I got back to the office to find my interview with the winning coach didn't take (dead batteries, I think). Fortunately, the school was close by, so I ran back out there and did it again. Still made deadline.

I now carry a large packet of batteries in my bag at all times.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Always take paper notes, and never buy an RCA recorder. I had one once, and to call it crap would be an insult to crap.

I've always had good luck with Olympus recorders.

Draft saved Draft deleted