1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate my recorder

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm sure you've all heard the stories of busted laptops along press row, but has your recorder gone haywire on you?

Mine did today. Over a half hour of an interview just went kaput. The thing reads 35:40 but when it hits the five-minute mark, it stops. POS RCA recorder.

Have you had similar problems? Did you somehow recover the file? Did you punch a hole in the wall? Recommend a brand that won't go all Vanderjagt on you?

This is more or less venting on my part. However, I'm sure, being SJ, an entertaining story will come out of this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My recorder works fine, except for the spittle.
  3. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

I'm old school, I don't trust anything that I can't see the tape moving.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I always, always, always take some kind of paper notes along with the recorder.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Me too. But sometimes I can't read them.
  6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just carve it into my arm as they talk. Scars last.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Does the blood freak interview subjects out?
  8. imjustagirl

I usually ask beforehand. Like how others say "I'm going to record this, is that OK?" I say "I'm going to mark this interview into my body in a permanent way, is that OK?"
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What if you need to throw out your notes for legal reasons?
  10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

"Why is your shirt off?"

"Glad you asked. I'm going to shave the notes onto my chest. Don't worry, coach ... I keep a broom and dustpan in the trunk."
  11. imjustagirl

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

One time when I was interviewing Ryan Raburn mine went bat shit crazy. It said it was on, but it never recorded. I tried interviewing him a second time and it still didn't work. At least he was cool and we got a good laugh about it.
Draft saved Draft deleted