1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate it when Doyel makes me agree with him

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Interesting that they dropped baseball after both new conference members come in with no baseball team. I think every other school in the Pac-10 has one.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They could pay students by refunding their student athletic fee. Some places they charge the students at large hundreds of dollars every semester.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Two alternatives suggest themselves.

One is to create a gigantic college sports bureaucracy shot through with exponentially more corruption than the current system.

Or just dismantle the whole rotten for-profit apparatus and let students go back to playing for the fun of it.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

????????
    Utah and Colorado both have baseball teams. Oregon re-started baseball 2 years ago, making all 10 schools with teams.
    Cal should be thrown out of the conference for this. Totally ridiculous. It's BASEBALL.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No, he actually made sense for a change.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Pac-10 could have solved this easily by making baseball a prerequisite for conference membership, like football, volleyball and M & W basketball.

Utah plays baseball. Colorado does not.

Evans Diamond will be a parking garage for Haas Pavilion within the decade.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's not borderline unconstitutional. Can you be a doctor without a medical degree? No - and you can't play football until you've been out of high school for three years, or whatever the rule is.
    I'm actually shocked the major sports leagues have never made it a rule that a college degree is required to play professional sports.
    The NFL, NBA and NCAA should just cut the horseshit and offer Football and Basketball as a major at every university. Kids go to class to learn what it takes to be a pro athlete - speaking classes, business courses, etc. - and take other classes to learn how to work in the sport if it's not on the field.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

In addition to free education, free food and free rent, athletes get free clothes and those high priced goody bags if they make a bowl game. Paying them would be completely insane. If done fairly and way it would need to be legally, you're not talking about enough money to deter the guys who are "cheating" anyway.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Actualy the way to pay student athletes is through merchandising. Take a dollar from every logo sold and put into a fund that would then distribute stipends monthly.
    it wouldn't be piles of money but it would be something and stipends are what gets every other scholarship kid by.
    schools could also do appearance fees that would then go into a fund for players.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm wondering why they couldn't demote it to quasi-club status, like they did men's rugby. Cal has a huge baseball tradition, dating back to playing in the first College World Series vs. George Bush and Yale. And Pac-10 baseball is huge.

In case anyone really cares, also getting the ax are men's and women's gymnastics and women's lacrosse.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think he'd rather bully you into agreeing rather than winning the argument.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Read somewhere -- Forbes, I think -- that the average college grad earns $400K more in a lifetime than someone with less than a college degree. That's enough to justify non-payment of athletes right there.

My retort to those who claim the scholarship is insufficient compensation: If you think it's such a pittance, why accept it in the first place? Why waste your time?

Draft saved Draft deleted