1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate it when Doyel makes me agree with him

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Sep 29, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/14032671/hold-the-sympathy-college-athletes-need-no-paychecks

Fine column. Great points. Plus, one other thing that nobody ever mentions: if you start paying football players, a water polo player from UCLA or a kid of the skiing team at Coloado whose father is a lawyer will sue the NCAA for their kids to get paid. Gotta be equal. So the smart solution is, don't pay college athletes.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree completely. As someone who paid for the bulk of my education on my own, I have zero sympathy for these athletes.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and you brought what to the University? Apples to Oranges.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So how can you justify paying Mark Ingram the same as the 85th player on Alabama's roster?

One obviously brings a lot more to the university.

5. Mizzougrad96

I went to class and pulled good grades so I guess you're right that students like that should not be compared to athletes.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

There's no way paying athletes is feasible. They do get paid ... through a full-ride scholarship.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The problem is, you can't justify it either way. So don't do it. These kids aren't starving, they've got good housing, great medical care and if they give a flying flip, they'll get a degree out of it -- all gratis.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

College athletes already are paid.

Their college educations are a privilege -- not a right -- that are paid for, often in full, along with room and board and at least a certain amount of food each day.

That education has value, and that ability to play in college will also directly lead to future opportunities potentially worth millions to them. The problem is, people are not seeing the value of the education, only that opportunity to play college sports, and taking advantage of the college to have that opportunity.

All that said, I also have always believed that any rules in place keeping athletes from holding down legitimate jobs while playing are ridiculous, as well.

9. Mizzougrad96

Depending on the school, I would guess that a degree from most public schools would cost around $100K. Considering my accountant tells me it will cost twice that when my kids go to college in over a decade, I figure that's a fair estimate.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'd love to see someone try to create a sliding scale that determines how much, for example, they'd pay Mark Ingram and how much they'd pay, say, the third-string center for New Mexico State. And everything in between.

Good luck with that.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's a very good column, and Bubbler's point is is fine for philosophical discussions and applies to nearly every athlete, including 95 percent of football and men's basketball players. But in the real world there is (or should be) no way to convince A.J. Green, Reggie Bush, Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, Kevin Durant, John Wall, or dozens (hundreds?) of other athletes each year that they are not letting someone else earn money off their sweat. I mean, Reggie Bush didn't play for USC those last two years, right? So that must mean USC, the NCAA and the networks are giving back the tens of millions of dollars generated when he was the biggest name in football, college or pro, in 2005. Or no, I guess they won't.

Unfortunately there's no solution, which is only going to make college sports more corrupt as the years go on. The chance of probation is just the cost of doing business.

The troubling part that can be corrected (but won't be) is the schools that steer kids away from useful degree programs. Harbaugh got in hot water a few years ago by saying Michigan steered him into general studies and away from anything challenging. There was the Robert Smith case. Notre Dame had a guy quit a few years back because he didn't feel like he could handle the demands of football and his architecture major. And 99 percent of the players in SEC are in bullshit majors that are easier than any high school curriculum. (Some even in grad school: Hi Masoli!)

If there were some kind of enforcement or check to make sure the players were actually getting a quality education, the argument that the scholarship is sufficient payment would be much more sustainable. As things stand, particularly among black athletes in major sports, it's pretty obvious that the universities are just in it to chew 'em up and spit 'em out.

12. jlee

jlee Active Member

Doyel makes a great point that is well-put, but it's been made before -- plenty of times -- and the column was posted weeks after the news hook that reignited public conversation on the issue.

Sure, it's somewhat timely today, since A.J Green will be returning Saturday, but all the rancor over Green's suspension has quelled and most FBC fans have moved on.

Draft saved Draft deleted