1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate Halloween. 2011 Edition.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Oct 30, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Re: I hate Halloween.

I have one candy corn necklace. A black cord with one shiny candy corn at the end. That's it. No other holiday get-ups.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

You might not likey it if you were the parent of a pre-teen, according to this article in today's Washington Post:

Preteens Trading Fairy Wands for Fishnets
    Halloween Trend Toward Racy Get-Ups Vexes Parents

By Brigid Schulte
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007; Page A01

Gabby Cirenza wanted to be a referee for Halloween. The outfit she liked had a micro-mini black skirt and a form-fitting black and white-striped spandex top held together with black laces running up the flesh-exposing sides. She looked admiringly at the thigh-high black go-go boots that could be bought as an accessory. And she thought the little bunny on the chest was cute.

"Absolutely not," said her mother, Cheryl. "That is so not happening."

Gabby is 11.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/29/AR2007102902095.html

As for Halloween, I live in a building with very few kids, so in the last 10 years, I've had one trick or treater. This year, I won't be home, so if I had bought any candy, I'd get to keep it all.

I went to a friend's house a few years ago to help give out candy. She easily had 200 kids come through. It was crazy! It was especially interesting to me that so few of them said thank you.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I went up and through eighth grade. Just misbehaved as a ninth, tenth and eleventh grader. Hung out with the whore as a senior.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You think the charity needed the 75 cents?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife and I are looking forward to taking the little one out for her first trick-or-treating, partially because it's a first but also because we won't have to answer our own door. I'm tired of the riffraff that magically appears for one night of the year.

And good point buck...day-after Halloween and Valentine's Day is outstanding for cheap candy.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

the "bah, humbug" season officially begins tomorrow. i'm all for hot chicks dressing up as cats, french maids, etc., any time. kids ringing my doorbell and pleading for candy? not so much.

we leave large kettle of candy by the door for the little darlings to take. it's checked by the wife or one of my three sons periodically to make sure it stays filled. even when the boys are trekking about, begging for candy themselves, they check at home to make certain the kettle stays filled.

we're lucky enough to live in a neighborhood that is ultra trustworthy. everyone knows us and no one takes more than a handful.

me? i'm looking forward to a new medical treatment that will take up 4-5 hours of my day. coupled with the commute home, i'll miss most of the festivities. yippee!!

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And you can always leave a few rat traps in the kettle to make sure they don't take more than their fair share. That'll show the little bastards.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I don't have kids, but totally dig Halloween. Thanksgiving and Christmas suck because with those comes the obligatory get-togethers with people you have no desire to spend any time with the rest of the year.

I actually took Monday off to spend eight hours carving pumpkins. Got the best decorations on the block, too.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How many pumpkins can you carve in eight hours?

Or was it one really big pumpkin, carved like the Taj Mahal??

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Four pumpkins. Did six last year.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm glad i'm not so old that i hate halloween... give me 30 more years to match and maybe, but not now...

christmas on the other hand. fuck christmas

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Basic faces with those triangle eyes and nose, or something fancy?

Draft saved Draft deleted