1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate Halloween. 2011 Edition.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Oct 30, 2007.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The first ring of the doorbell.....just as we sit for dinner. Of course. And it's not even dark yet!

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The little kids are out before it gets dark.

But if it's a bunch of teenagers give 'em the Baby Ruths if those are in your variety bag. Save the good stuff for the little kids.

3. JackReacher

Pretty pumped to turn away the older teenagers who don't even bother to dress up and simply carry around a pillow case, hoping for candy.

NOPE!

4. Machine Head

Start Googling "how to clean raw eggs off house siding" now and save yourself some time :D

5. Machine Head

I am here to help:

"If there's one thing I can't stress enough," she adds, "it's to use water that's warm, not hot. Eggs are protein-based, and using hot water will cook the egg onto the surface, causing it to adhere much more closely." Warm water right out of the faucet is more than warm enough to do the job, Curtis says.

And there are still other tricks of the egg-removal trade. "First, remove the egg as quickly as possible," advises Bob Reynolds, a chemist at Zep, Inc., a manufacturer of detergents and cleaners. Given its high moisture content, an egg is most vulnerable to cleaning while it's still wet. After its moisture evaporates, it becomes physically tougher and is converted into a simple protein glue.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/outdoor-projects/how-to-clean-up-egg-vandalism

6. Machine Head

Reese's over Kit Kat to this point.

7. Machine Head

The weather seems to be affecting turnout.

Maybe I can send Dick a box of Reese's and Kit Kats!

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Dick fears that the mythology behind Halloween discourages children from generating interests in math and science.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

You are the house I always wished I could visit.

10. Machine Head

I've scaled back. I used to do the bigger size candy. Reese's with four cups in each, etc.

Best one last night was a little guy, must've been four. The adult walking with him was out in the yard. I tell the little guy to take one of what he wants as I hold out the tray with candy. His eyes get big and he grabs four Kit Kat bars. Holds them up in the air and turns and yells "I love this!" to the adult he's with and runs to the next house.

Anyway, a couple of loose ends on the thread are bugging me..

Mr. Sonner, we didn't hear back after the teenagers with pillowscases stopped by. You OK?

Mr. Gee, live bats in a room with kids just seems to have potential for all kinds of happenings. How many were there? Wouldn't the bats take flight when the kids screamed? If the bats could get there could squirrels or mice? They chew through screen. Did you get close enough to check the screen? Why do I wonder about theses things?

11. Machine Head

Forgot, I checked the expiry date on the candy and one of the boxes is good until January 2015, so I'll send that one with the Valentine's Day card I send to Dick.

12. JackReacher

Happy to say, no shithead teenagers were seen. Was a pretty uneventful evening. Only about 50 kids showed up. Way fewer than expected. Turned out the lights around 9.

Bad news is....we have a boatload of leftovers.

Draft saved Draft deleted