1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate car buying

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jan 17, 2014.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I love how Ragu is so smart that his way obviously is the best and he did not even bother trying this out, even though it would have cost him only 30 bucks.

It's an open bid system. All you need is one hungry salesperson to make it work, and we found that person.

Of course no matter what anyone types, you have the right, golden, answer.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea why you have such a bug up your ass when it comes to me.

Take me out of this. I don't know why it wouldn't occur to anyone using their head that when you use a middleman -- a broker such as TrueCar that gets paid a fee by the dealers (which pass along that fee to you in the pricing) -- that logically on THAT ALONE you are not doing as well as you might have negotiating on your own.

That isn't a golden answer. It's just common sense.

But make it about me again.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't even believe Ragu and his Euro girlfriend bought two cars.

We all know -- because Devil told us -- that Ragu is a city dweller, who doesn't own a car.

If anyone believes what he's selling, I've got a bridge for sale.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/your-money/car-dealers-wince-at-a-site-to-end-sales-haggling.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And from my previous link...

For consumers, the service is completely free. You are not charged a fee by Consumer Reports, TrueCar, or the dealership. In addition to helping our subscribers, the Build & Buy program also helps Consumer Reports, a nonprofit organization, do its work. TrueCar pays Consumer Reports for cars sold through the program, without regard to what makes or models were bought, where they were bought, or who bought them. Whatever amounts Consumer Reports receives are used to help defray the costs of its ongoing work and mission.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The only person I ever knew to like the process is my father.

My father buys a new car every three years, the first week of January.. He's retired and spends every one of those days between purchases and countless dollars in gas driving around to scout out his next car (still no internet). The excitement he gets, bragging he negotiated the for free oil changes and getting them to knock off the dealer's fees! You must be impressed or he'll pout. The search keeps him from driving my mom nuts, so nobody says anything.

Yes, my parents are essentially Morty and Helen Seinfeld.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

One practice I really hate is how some places negotiate with you, write a bunch of numbers on paper (all theoretical because it has to be run by the sales manager), and the draw an X and a line and say, "so, I'll go see if we can make this work, just sign right there." What do I need to sign for? They haven't made me an offer. They're wanting me to sign like it's the final bill of sale or something. It's needless bullshit pressure, and I hope no one has ever fell for it. I'm sure some people have been bullied into accepting a bad offer and having unethical sales people say, "but you signed this, it's binding." Like it's been mentioned before, don't sign anything except the final paperwork. You can walk away at any time. They can't force you to buy a car.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

t

That's when you ask to see the paper, crumple it up and eat it.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And?

TrueCar charges a $299 fee for any lead that leads to a sale ($399 on a used car), and in some states dealers also pay a monthly subscription fee to be part of their dealer network.

By the way, if you pick up the phone you not only cut out that middleman, you can actually negotiate. ... from your strength (you come armed with the dealer cost) rather than naively sitting back and thinking they are going to e-mail you their rock bottom price on a car that is inventory at that moment that they want to move. ... you also are not limiting yourself to TrueCar's dealer network (which does not encompass every car dealership).

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I've left a few places because they refused to run credit or numbers to see what kind of real figures we had to work with. There is no reason to sign for anything because they aren't guaranteeing they can get you those figures.

Another thing I hate doing is everyone wanting to run credit checks when it's not necessary. Last year, my wife traded her Prius for a cheaper Kia. She made plenty of money and had great credit, but I was on unemployment. You can't count that as real income on a credit app. The sales manager insisted I run my credit, and I refused. Kept telling us it would hurt her ability to get a good interest rate, blah blah blah. I stood my ground, and she still got 2 percent, not too bad.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Funny, and yet... I need to set some goals for when I'm retired. Could easily end up like your father, though I won't be able to afford a new car every three years. Tend to obsess over big purchases and over-research.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you have a hard time leaving a dealership when something starts to smell fishy, then bring a small child with you. We went shopping when our oldest was 1 and she lost her cool about 45 min into the process (we joke that it was when the dealer started talking about leases), and we high-tailed it out fast with the baby excuse. Grabbed lunch and then bought somewhere else.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I bought Monday. A 14 Nissan Versa in a bigger city than what I live. I tried like hell to go through the local dealers, but they didn't seem interested in doing business with me. Of course, local dealer called me yesterday and asked if I still was interested in buying a couple cars I inquired about. I told them I already bought a car. Then he asked me if I was a college student. I said, "Um ... I'm 37 and haven't take a college class in 15 years."

Awkward pause before salesman said, "OK, well I hope you enjoy your new car!"

Draft saved Draft deleted