1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate car buying

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I don't know if you are financing or not but the ultra cheap interest rate meant we had a 2014 for the same total cost as a 2012 or 13 that we would have had to taken a car loan on.

Look at total with financing cost and see if the difference is worth owning a new car.

2. The new car is worth the difference in price, even if just to think, "I bought a new car." I mean, fuck it, you cant take it with you. so why not let a few bucks make you feel good every once in a while. Seriously

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Find a thread about my experiences, then do the opposite of what I did.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you can get zero percent financing on a new, that is a huge chip over the percentage charged on a used car loan.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Go for the new one if there is no bigger price difference than that.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yep.

7. sostartled

sostartled Member

I vote new. Likely a longer warranty, and you have piece of mind that there's not some hidden bent tire rod issue from the previous owner/lessor (even though the "used" car is only a year old).

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No hassle, no haggle sales = You pay what the dealer wants. Nobody ever saved money by paying what the dealer wants them to.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As with anything, it's never that simple.

Last year I bought two-year-old Mercedes C-class with under 20,000 miles on it and saved $15,000 off the cost of a brand new one. With the certified pre-owned warranty tacked onto the original warranty, the car is covered until 2017.

Staying open to buying new or used is the best way to find a great deal.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct. But have an understanding of the price points. If it's too high, walk away. If it's reasonable, then figure out if it's because the vehicle has been on the lot too long, if the Carfax report indicates a rebuilt or salvage title … or, in an occasional case, the dealer is actually being reasonable.

Not a fan of the CarMax experience, primarily because they start their price points ridiculously high and do not budge. But at least they back their products.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't generally disagree with these two and I respect their opinions. But I don't think this is the right answer.

Run the amortization schedule and see which is the best deal. The used one will inevitability be cheaper, and you will be left with a difference. If that difference is worth a new car smell or 10,000 miles or 20,000 miles, that is up for you to decide. But run the numbers and value that new car smell. THAT is the only right answer.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What are the interest rates and what are you trading in/putting down?

Draft saved Draft deleted