1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate American Legion baseball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, you're getting a little postseason play on?

2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Yeah, and it should be at home too depending on what happens tonight (they're in Eugene and the radio feed is awful).

3. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

My rule: Any team scores more than 10 runs in the first inning allows me to stop taking notes for the rest of the game, except for the final score. There are too many brutal, one-sided games to take it seriously. In my neck of the woods, no one cares. Media: there's nothing else to cover so it's just a formality to get our hours in. Coaches: a way to keep an eye on the kids. Players: an excuse to avoid a summer job. Attendance to most games can be counted on both hands. College coaches/recruiters: don't exist because there are no baseball programs in this state beyond NJCAA level.

It is punishment all around.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't think we have Legion ball in this area. It may be elsewhere in the state, but i have never seen it around here.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

legion baseball is the devil's sport.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

There's still such a thing as American Legion baseball?

Where I am, all the good players play select and Legion is like a rec league for players who weren't good enough (or wealthy enough) to play select. And it gets ignored by the local paper and nobody complains.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You have just described my dream summer scenario.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bigger in the two major cities and the western part of your state, I think. Besides, the high school basketball coaches get upset at the idea that anything would be more important than the 400 games they make the kids play during the summer.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I am pretty close to the western part of the state, but still haven't heard of any teams.

And the coaches go crazy when a kid misses summer basketball for any reason.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i kind of miss summer baseball in the upper valley.

legion ball in vermont and n.h. is decent.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Now that I'm in a situation where if Legion was still important enough to cover, I'd still not be covering it, I wish we had it.

it's a great thing for 20-21 year old part-timers or summer interns to get experience with during the summer. I spent many a summer praying for 10-run rule finishes of bad Legion game. Heck, my 18-year-old year (college freshman year) I played Legion ball (I was an early high school grad) and when my team was eliminated in the semifinal of the Shaughnessy Tournament (do they still have those?) I got a call that night asking me if I'd mind stringing the championship round...So I did!

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

True story:

In Rocky Mount, we covered the local Legion team all summer, home and away, in such far-off locales as Edenton and Kinston. My wife would stare at me strangely when I told her about it.

Finally, she said to me, "Why are you wasting so much time watching old men play baseball? Can they even run to first base anymore?"

I don't know that I've ever laughed so hard.

(By the way, it's also humorous that this is now a "post reply.")

Draft saved Draft deleted