1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate American Legion baseball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

God this brings the epic failure of journalism back to my thoughts. It was a Legion game in N.C. about two years ago. The home team's paper has likely the worst homer in the history of homers (Sam you and I know him well). The entire game, this guy and the home team's organizer are bitching about the visiting team (the one I am covering) and how they "bamboozled" the home-field advantage from them.
    After about four innings of that, I pick up my stuff and leave the pressbox, and finish covering the game from the field.
    After the game, over the PA speakers, comes the voice of the home team's organizer.
    "Well good for you (visiting team's coach) you got one over on us."
    Followed by
    "You'll get your's in the end (visiting team's coach). Just you wait, you'll get yours."
    The joke around the office was that that team's organizer sat up nights with a bottle of whiskey and a picture of the visiting team's coach and threw darts and cried over that game.
    I vowed to never cover a Legion game again, and save the first week at my new job, I haven't.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Could someone explain to me why regular season American Legion games are 7 innings, but suddenly become 9 innings for the state tournament?
    Or is that a phenomenon limited to New Jersey?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Excellent fix.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

The one Legion game I covered actually wasn't bad. 7-6 over in 2 1/2 hours. But when it was 5-5 after 3 and the game was dragging on, I saw the potential it truly has.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I think its a national rule. They are nine in Massachusetts, too. (Division 1 high school tournament games in Mass. are also nine)
    As I said, it's bullshit. Nobody below the college level has enough pitching for nine innings.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Radio for American Legion games?

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

In the town I used to work in, the radio guy for the Legion team told me they were "fighting with another station to keep the rights to OUR games"

9. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Really hoping WS sees this thread.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The quality of American Legion ball depends on where you are, I guess. Wyoming, for instance: Legion ball is their high school ball, so it tends to be halfway decent. (WHSAA doesn't sanction baseball or softball because the majority of schools don't have enough kids to support the spring sports they already have with baseball/softball added in, too.)

11. Jar of Flies

Jar of Flies Member

I don't hate Legion ball, but thank God football is coming soon.

12. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Ours (S. Oregon) is typically pretty solid. The local team here has 4 guys who played college ball last year (one at Oregon State, then a D-2, D-3 and NAIA) and the vast majority of the top high school kids from the city, several of whom will play JC ball next year. Legion ball is much better than high school around here.

Draft saved Draft deleted