1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate American Legion baseball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jul 26, 2008.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Thursday - Two games. A grand total of 73 runs. First game - 21-12. Second game 32-8. No run rule until seven.

Team that lost 32-8 protested. Winning team didn't have matching uniforms - which is a Legion rule. Protest last damn near a half hour.

Friday - One game. Coach from losing team gets tossed. Fans heckle umpire who did so. Fan gets tournament director to calm everyone down. Home plate umpire admits to calling losing team's catcher a "smart-ass." Tournament director chews out umpire in front of everyone.

All the while I'm sitting in the press box first with one of those infamous homers ("It's over. We aren't coming back." Saying it when "his" team is down 6-4 in the fifth inning) and a radio guy who screams with each base hit by the home team.

I can't wait for my vacation to start in about 50 minutes ...

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Well played sir! ;D

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did any teams finish with six players?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

American Legion baseball ... ugh, ugh, ugh.

I talked with a former colleague just a couple of nights ago who had to endure a 17-16 pitching duel. That sounded like loads of fun.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

American Legion baseball was berry berry good to me.

6. Sam Mills 51

A couple of Legion coaches couldn't have been more helpful or nicer post-game or over the phone. But that doesn't help but so much after a five-hour pingfest.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Everyone gets Ice Cream!!!!!!!

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Baseball's my favorite sport, both as a journalist and fanboi. I think I'd rather have a chlamydia test every morning, before coffee, than cover a season of American Legion baseball ever again.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The playoff game I covered today was 24-10. It ended in seven innings (6 1/2, actually) due to the 10-run rule.
    The losing team was down 16-3 in the sixth and scored five runs, which looked like it was just enough to make the game go the the full nine innings, but not enough to make it competitive.
    Then the winning team scored eight in the bottom of the sixth and gave up just two more in the seventh, sparing everyone the agony of nine innings.
    While we're on the subject, nobody under the college level should ever play nine-inning games. Ever. Spare me the "It's real baseball; It separates the men from the boys" crap. Even the most old-school high school football coach won't argue for 15-minute quarters.
    There's not enough pitching and it's not as if a coach can just go and develop more pitchers.

10. Sam Mills 51

That should be sigworthy for someone. Tremendous.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I covered a game once that was 21-0 after two innings. The coach of the team that was trailing actually went to the umpire and asked if the 10-run rule applied after 5, could they get a 20-run after 3. He was not even kidding, still ranks as one of my favorite moments.

EDIT: BTW Writing Irish, that is fucking brilliant.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Know how I know your town sucks ass? It's so boring that the radio station broadcasts Legion ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted