1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate all-area teams and POY awards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That is all.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Suck it up, Bambi, and do your job!
    College scholarships and the hopes and dreams of countless volleyball, soccer and cross country athletes are riding on this.
    ;)

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But they work sooooooooooooooooooooooo hard!!! [/assholeparents]

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The worst part was honestly not knowing who the POY should be. Many times, especially for minor sports, I could have picked 2-3 people. Even with coaches' input, stats, etc., there's just no way to judge. I know I've screwed some people out of POY awards.

The worst part is when your POY turns out to be a total failure after high school, and some guy who came in 2nd or 3rd on your list becomes a starter at a D-1 school. Of course, it's not all about college potential, but still...

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I know ... I've probably just screwed a kid out of going D-I in soccer.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cool, something to put on your resume...

7. No athlete in my area will go Division I, so I'm openly trying to screw kids out of NAIA and Division II scholarships by not having an all-area list this year.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And this is one reason I love being on desk now -- no worries about picking POY, all-area teams, photo shoots, etc.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Preaching to the choir, Oz. Still, I can't help but come to a slow boil at our prep writer, who chooses two or three players for every position and four or five players of the year because he doesn't want to piss anyone off, not because there are multiple worthy candidates.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I love how everyone (parents, message board people, coaches) suggests you should have co-POYs.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I'm picking one tonight. And people who don't like it? They can bite me.

12. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Big Buckin', can I ask why you hate them so?

Draft saved Draft deleted