1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I had no idea a Prius could go 100 mph

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Idaho, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Let's see.
    Marvin -- S&L thief and Thai teenage hooker magnet.
    GWB -- drunk until he's 40.
    And then --
    Jeb's kid -- pillhead.
    Jeb's Other Kid -- girlfriend stalker and vandal.
    The Twins -- barhoppin' tabloid queens.

No wonder young Al was in a hurry. He's competing against two generations of ne'er-do-wells.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Since this is a journalist's board maybe someone could phone Toyota and find how fast a Prius can actually go. :)

As a side story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/business/04hybrid.html

The reason that Prius is the best-selling Hybrid in North America is simple: driving one tells the world you care.

Mary Gatch of Charleston, S.C., chose the car over a hybrid version of the Toyota Camry after trading in a Lexus sedan.

“I felt like the Camry Hybrid was too subtle for the message I wanted to put out there,” Ms. Gatch said. “I wanted to have the biggest impact that I could, and the Prius puts out a clearer message.”

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

So a Prius is the equivelant of a Hummer? You drive it more to be seen in it than you drive it to get from Point A to Point B.

Another reason to not like the Prius (and the Hummer).

I'll gladly purchase a 'green' car next time I'm shopping. But I'll go for something like a Honda Civic.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And the even more amazing part is he was apparently stoned at the time. 100 mph after smoking some weed? Most folks are hard pressed to drive 10 mph in that altered state.

5. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

Yes, I blame all of their parents.  Every one of my many failures and shortcomings has been placed squarely on the shoulders of my mother and father.  They are 100% responsible for every mistake I make. 

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

If Tipper had watched out for what kind of music he was listening to as a kid, none of this would have happened.

And a Prius a 100 MPH? Impressive.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Therein lies the problem. The Bush girls were ridiculed and the family lambasted because they had a few drinks when they were under-aged ... that that was it. In the meantime, Al III has a record as long as your arm (this isn't the first brush with the law) and the media has pretty much given him a pass.

And since he was doing 100 mph in an enviromentally friendly car, I'm sure that gets him another pass.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Did little Albert grow up listening to Twisted Sister or Sammy (I can't drive 55) Hagar?

I'm guessing he had the motor from a Cooper Mini plugged into that Prius.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't forget almost every Kennedy kid and grand-kid in existence.
    And the twins -- "barhoopin" -- ooohhhhh!!! At least they didn't get in a car and do 100.
    I'm also going to play the Fenian card: proof, please and sources, please, on GWB being "drunk until he's 40", Marvin and the Jeb's kids. Convictions, other than Jeb's female daughter? Let's have it.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Maybe it's little easier to keep the headline-worthy misbehavior on the downlow when the one holding your hair back while you vomit in a nightclub bathroom is a Secret Service agent.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

either way, getting drunk once in awhile is a far cry from going 100 with a trunkload of pills and pot.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

One presumes the Secret Service to likewise be the girls' ride home. And is anyone, anywhere prepared to say that the President's daughters have never fired up a spliff?

Draft saved Draft deleted