1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I guess there's no need for movie critics any more

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Aug 15, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just saw the latest commercial for the movie "We're the Millers."

Juxtaposed between scenes from the movie were the usual quotes raving about the movie. They're only on the screen for a second. And then I realized why when I paused.

Every quote was attributed to a Twitter user, not a movie critic.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bogus thumbs-up from dubious sources have been part of movie ad campaigns for several years. The usual is about 4-5 quotes from some blogger.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I guess that's appropriate since #steamingpileofexcrement fits nicely into 140 characters

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Man, if Jeff Craig of 60 Second Reviews passed on We're the Millers, something must be wrong.

I'm thinking Peter Travers of RS might be the only critic now who might get me to a movie I otherwise wouldn't see. There are some movies I'd be leaning toward that a good review might give me a nice push, but there isn't another Ebert out there.

5. old_tony

With print media dying, where are the next generation of big critics going to come from?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

They're becoming superfluous, just like editorial cartoonists.

7. old_tony

and copy editors ... and reporters.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are plenty of good critics. As revered as Ebert was, he tended to over praise, I thought. A.O. Scott and Manola Dargus (sp?) are a good 1-2 punch. Michael Phillips is tremendous. Dana Stevens is interesting. Also lots of great commentary on the Web. I feel like we're in a bit of a golden age of film criticism, to be honest.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

#verywelldone!

10. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Peter Travers has never, ever seen a mainstream movie he wouldn't blow effusively. It stuns me people don't see that.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd lay cold cash that 75 percent of moviegoers have never heard of Rotten Tomatoes.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Uh....I'll take that wager.

Draft saved Draft deleted