1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I guess them's the brakes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beardpuller, Sep 10, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'm not real big on typo threads, but I just opened my Sports Illustrated (or Brett Favre Illustrated), and in DISPLAY type, on Page 60, is the following lift-out sentence from the U.S. Open story: "Her shoes squeaking like subway breaks, Williams won many points simply by virtue of hustle and anticipation."

Subway breaks? Am I missing something? Is Jared break-dancing in the next commercial?
    They mean brakes, right?
    It also took me less than 5 minutes to read everything in the magazine I found interesting, but that's another thread. Don't know why I still subscribe. Guess I just need the fleece.

2. SI and SI.com have laid off so many quality people that this keeps happening.

It's shocking how poorly edited and proofread it's become in the last 18 months or so.

People that write for SI & SI.com used to get calls constantly from fact checkers. These calls no longer come.

Although there are moments of occasional brilliance, the thing is a shadow of its former self.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll tell my SI story once more.
    As a kid, I used to fine-tooth issues looking for a typo, a little one, anything. NEVER found one. The damn thing was perfect. Always.
    Now it isn't a challenge.
    Braking Up is Hard to Do!

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They try hard too. give 'em a brake..

6. it's a message board. we're not being published here.

we're exchanging ideas and opinions

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And his opinion is that you don't know the proper use of who vs. that.

8. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Not to go all academic, but "that" has a pretty rich history as a relative personal pronoun.

The who-vs.-that distinction is more a matter of style than a matter of being proper or improper. (It's an entirely reasonable and wise style call, I agree.)

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/who-versus-that.aspx

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Interesting stuff.

But here, it's still always "who." :)

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Who, rather than that.
    That, rather than which.

Oh, and Andre Laguerre is spinning like a top.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What kind of childhood did you have, Moddy? :)

12. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

In their Olympic preview, they had a capsule talking about which US team was "the brainiest" (that would be the fencing team, based on number of Rhodes Scholars, etc.) Anyhow, in that capsule they managed to spell the word "finalist" as "finalest." Ouch.

Draft saved Draft deleted