1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I guess she does more than just go down in a theatre!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Aug 14, 2010.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

When I was a teen I spent a whole lot of Saturdays on Melrose in Hollywood, where there were three independent record stores within two or three blocks. (One of them was Aron's - can't remember the names of the other two.) They had rack after rack of used records, including promo copies of new releases. It was just before the CD took hold. I used to drop $30 and walk out with 10 new albums.

They're all long dead, of course. Amoeba Records on Sunset is terrific, and is still standing.

I will admit to having a hearty laugh when Tower Records bit the dust. Everyone blamed Amazon, Napster and Wal-Mart, but sorry, if your business plan involves charging $18+ for a new CD and staffing your stores with surly pricks playing German deathmetal at migraine-inducing volume... you deserve bankruptcy. I hated Tower. They also fought like hell to keep the clamshell and cardboard longbox packaging for CDs. It made getting the disc out a huge pain in the ass and was hugely wasteful... but Tower didn't want to redesign their racks. Boo hoo.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I really like Jagged Little Pill, but hate Hand In My Pocket. I prefer Perfect and Head Over Feet and Not the Doctor.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I have to say, I have fond memories of the song in question and Jagged Little Pill as a whole.

I couldn't name you a single AM song or album before or after.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It was rumoured that goalie Felix Potvin was the guy.

I liked her better when she first hit big in Canada, two albums before Jagged Little Pill, as a teen dance-pop queen with huge hair but no last name - just Alanis.

Amazingly, she still does this song in concert. It sounds WAY, WAY different now.....but she makes sure to include the invitation to the "party people in the house" in the middle. Bizarrely compelling.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was Ben Affleck's head, not Matt Damon's, that she made explode in Dogma. Affleck had killed Damon's character earlier.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I was wondering about that. And in that case, even better.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

For those of you who apparently always lived up to your parents' expectations, here are the lyrics to Perfect.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For doing a brilliant parody of Fergie, Alanis Morissette gets a lifetime pass from me:

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

To further my Wal-Mart point, they've almost come full circle.

The Wal-Mart I went to to purchase my first CDs in 1989 or so had the display technique of throwing them all in a box in the middle of the electronics department with several rows of cassette tapes on either side.

Today, the CDs are in the racks and the cassettes went bye-bye about a dozen years ago, but there is one row on each side of the aisle. One side is for rock and the other side is for country (and in Texas, for Latin music). I was amused last week by the fact it appears Wally World and Sheryl Crow have finally buried the hatchet.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

JR is correct. The surprising aspect of the song wasn't that was particularly revelatory about the relationship in question.
    It was the anger and emotion of the song, which was unusual for a female performer, and it was particular unusual for a female performer to express such raw anger in a song and have that song find huge cross-over pop success.

I think you are, or were, trying to read more into the song's success than was there. It was a raw, angry song by a woman that found mainstream success. That's what was unusual.

It's also a good, hooky song.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm reading too much into it. When it was popular - and even today when I hear it on the radio - DJ's compliment here about getting back at whoever the guy was, and say things like, "Wow, I'd hate to be that guy! She really gave it back to him!"

It is a good pop song.

But "You're So Vain" did it way better, way earlier.

As, again, did Courtney Love.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'You're So Vain' is a great example. I think it's more lyrically nuanced, and it is a great, hooky pop song in it's own right.
    But it is not presented with the kind of raw anger that 'You Oughtta Know' is. That's part of what made 'You Oughtta Know' different.
    I don't know the Courtney Love song in question, but 'You Oughtta Know' had huge crossover pop success, which sets it apart from Courtney Love.

I've always wondered why people were so sure the song was about a single person. I've wondered the same thing about 'You're So Vain.'
    Song lyrics are much more likely to be composites of experiences than single-sourced.

Draft saved Draft deleted