1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I guess she does more than just go down in a theatre!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Aug 14, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You ended the night with one hand in your pocket and the other one typing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm a little old for this one but I thought the big deal with this song was that it was a truly angry song about an ex as opposed to the standard "he left me and I'm blue" or "he left me but I'm blaming the other woman" songs that were the norm.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Isn't it ir.... oh the hell with it.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, a lot of people certainly got into that album — and if you did, good for you — but what I remember about it is that a little while after it came out, I walked into the local record store (remember those?) to browse and "Jagged Little Pill" was playing on the store PA. That was a painful listen. Not painful in the "aw, I feel really bad for her" or "Man, that reminds me of when I got dumped" sense, but in the sense of "My ears are bleeding, please turn that off."

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Wow. Couldn't disagree more here. Alanis was at her screechiest worst in that awful song.

Her best work came in the Kevin Smith View Askew films precisely because the roles were silent (except when she made Matt Damon's head explode, of course).

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

More like one hand in your pocket and the other one holding a Kleenex.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spot on, this. I can't think of one slightly redeeming moment on this whole fucking album.

Ah, browsing in the local record store, one of my alltime fave things to do. There's a good thread in there: great record stores. Toronto was full of them at one time.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Record stores are becoming dinosaurs. Even the chain stores aren't carrying anything. I had to go to four stores the other day - two Best Buys, a Borders, and a B&N - before I found the new Arcade Fire disc. The No. 1 album in America this week. Couldn't find it anywhere. Ten years ago, there would have been dozens and dozens of them on display.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know, what I was talking about were the great ones we all had in our hometown back in the day where you could spend hours browsing the bins and chatting with other music freaks.

My local HMV sells more books and DVDs than CDs. I go in there because they have great prices on music-related bios etc. Haven't browsed or bought Cds in there in years.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

At least Alanis isn't Patton Oswalt. If she were, she'd have to sing about going UP in a theatre.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I know what you meant. We shopped those places exclusively in high school. And that was in the suburbs, not the city. Good luck now finding independent music stores in the suburbs. They got put out of business by the chains. And now the chains aren't carrying music any more. Or not much.

I know that iPods have killed it, but I still love to buy CDs for some reason. I like the liner notes, even though I could get anything I want to know on the Internet. I like the artwork. And I love coming home and filing it into its little alphabetical order spot with the rest of my CD collection. So many memories stored in that display. And just generations upon generations of music.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I ran into the same problem -- but that's because the Arcade Fire CD was flying off the shelves. Best Buy usually comes through in a pinch.

I do miss the big record stores, like Tower and Virgin, and spending hours browsing. They've all gone the way of the dodo bird. Places like Hastings and FYE are just about all there are. Wal-Mart is a joke anymore and Target is marginally better.

ITunes is neat, but it's not the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted