1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I guess she does more than just go down in a theatre!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Aug 14, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"You Oughta Know" may be the dumbest ass pop song in the long history of dumb ass pop songs.

I have never, ever, ever understood why it was universally celebrated, as it is today, as this enormous feminist moment, and why anyone saw it as this enormous revenge toward whoever dumped her. The lyrics make her sound like either (a) A lovesick 14-year-old; or (b) A psycho stalker that had every reason to be dumped. There's absolutely nothing specific in the song that she reveals that would embarrass the guy. Nothing. They met. They fell in love. It didn't work out. No indication of cheating. No domestic violence. Nothing. Just the kind of breakup that happens thousands and thousands of times in America and around the world every single day.

And yet it is absolutely put on a pedestal as this moment when the woman really, really got back at the man.

Whoop dee shit. I guess she told him. If I were the subject, I'd be rolling my eyes about her supposedly big, triumphant kiss-off.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who was the member of the Maple Leafs who did the dumping? Every time someone scored on Toronto for a while, the Sports Center crew would say, "That's for Alanis Morrisette's pain."

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I dunno; I might be upset that she got so rich off of it.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Wasn't the subject Joey from Full House?

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

yes, uncle Joey - dave coulier.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It was.

I didn't like her music for a long time. Looking back on it though, Jagged Little Pill was really one of the better albums of the 90s, and it was right about that time that music started go downhill for that decade. Uninvited, You Learn, Hand in My Pocket and my favorite Right Through You are still songs I enjoy today.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

We're all missing the key here.

Alanis Morissette married a freaking rapper?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No way. There were a lot of hits off of it, but Courtney Love holds up a copy of "Live Through This" and laughs at your premise.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Impossible to argue with a single word here.

That said, whether it was a single stroke of brilliance or just dumb luck, "Hand In My Pocket" is a GREAT song. It rings incredibly true to anyone who has ever been 21. Or 36.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I saw her in concert at GMU during my senior year of high school. Four guys, four girls went with the hope of all four guys getting some sex after. Instead, all four girls danced like fucking hippies for two hours and couldn't have given a shit less about us donks. Zippy sex for any of us.

Including the drive back and forth, that's four to five hours of my life I'm never getting back.

I'm not bitter or anything, though....

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You oughta know before you go to an Alanis Morrissette concert that would happen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted