1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I guess I'm a coach now ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beanpole, Jan 24, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

All I ask of my kids are:

Play hard;
    Be good teammates (support each other);
    Get better each game/match.

If the kids still want to play and have more enthusiasm for the sport when the season's over, I've done my job.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I could add one thing to qtlaw's advice, it's teach the kids to be respect themselves and each other. Teach them the importance of playing hard to win when you're on the field, but to be respectful of your opponent.

At that age, you're not trying to train the next Pele or the next Landon Donovan. You're teaching the kids how to play for a greater purpose than themselves. If you can get that from them, you're a success no matter what your team's record is.

Whenever you coach children, your purpose has to be to impart life lessons they can take with them into their later school years and into their adulthood.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

Update:

I got my coaching materials, and was somewhat surprised to see that we're keeping score. Winners and losers in 3-to-5-year-old soccer? Hm.

Even better, there's a website where I'm supposed to record stats within 12 hours after the game. I can even write a gamer and take photos, if I want.

Honestly, do they really expect me to keep stats while I'm also making sure my 4 players on the field don't fall down and cry; while I'm making sure my 4 players on the bench aren't eating dirt or wandering away, and while I'm making sure everyone plays the exact same amount of time?

Jesus.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is where hot team mom comes in handy. She needs to organize volunteer group each week- one for snacks, one for stats, one as worm monitor.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

Coach Beanpole? I ate my worm.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. GermanKeyser

GermanKeyser Member

Reassure the parents that you're not keeping scores and stats and that it's all about the kids and players having fun and it's not about winning.

Then put in an anonymous call to the newspapers with detailed stats, all added up and in order, of course, pointing out your most valuable players, who's likely to go pro one day, and calling out all the slackers and kids who like to sit around and watch the birds fly by.

Oh, and to start practices, it probably wouldn't hurt to do a couple of 100-yard bear crawls in the rain and mud. It builds character.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Step 1: Take the kids to summer camp in Junction, Texas.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I dunno - teaching life's lessons to 3 - 5 year olds seems like a bit of an overreach.

If you must though only give a trophy to the MVP. Lifes first lesson -- you all can't be winners.

Draft saved Draft deleted