1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I guess a dollar's a dollar

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ScribePharisee, May 20, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

But it's got to do wonders for the morale of the writers on this board when the first thing that hits them in the face is a banner crying "Journalism is dead" when they go to this site.
  2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have no idea what you're talking about.
  3. ScribePharisee

You don't see an ad banner when you go on this site saying "Journalism is dead?"
  4. spnited

spnited Active Member

No I do not. I don't see any ads.
  5. ScribePharisee

Maybe you're a subscriber.
  6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I guess that's why is says "SJ subscriber" under my name.

Hope this isn't too difficult for you to follow.
  7. Colton

Colton Active Member

What mr. spnited said.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, everyone's morale is so good when they come here, but the wrong banner ad just sends them over the edge and into the abyss of despair.

Though I too do not know of these ads.
  9. I'm a subscriber and I see the ad Scribe is talking about all the time. It's on the home page when you first get to the site, the one where you choose to go to the message boards, jobs, contact us or the SportsJournalists.com store.

That said, I always kind of laugh when I see it. Not that big of a deal. My morale stays intact until I start reading some of the journalism topics only threads.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well I'll be darned. I haven't been to the home page in ages. sportsjournalists.com/forum is always in my browsing history, so I just go straight to the boards.
  11. bob

bob Member

I also go straight to the boards, but I occasionally see the ad.
    So, Scribe isn't hallucinating.
  12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You know those are Google ads that are displayed, so if there is a topic that journalism is dead, an ad that matches the content is displayed. Pretty ingenious, isn't it?

If only newspapers had ad systems that could automatically parse content and display ads. My chain's ad system is based on tags, which lead to funny ads on some stories.
Draft saved Draft deleted