1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I gotta ask ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jims242, Nov 2, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My wife was a cheerleader. And the homecoming queen. She has a top 25 education and makes a helluva lot more than most of us here, myself included.

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Not a sport. Involves athletic elements, but definitely not a sport.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My roommate freshman year was a cheerleader. Smartest woman I've ever met. She's now a doctor somewhere in the Midwest.

As for cheerleading as a sport, I think that when teams compete and don't cheer on football/basketball/whatever (yes, these exist) then it's a sport. Otherwise, they are really just support for athletics.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As is band. As is the student newspaper competition.

They're not sports, either.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

OK, you're like the fourth person who thinks that post was serious. Did y'all not read my post at the beginning of this thread?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I was adding to your point ... many state associations sanction more than just sports.

I am, however, fairly certain that I have never been contacted by Latin club parents irate over the lack of coverage, even though they work just as hard as the starters on the football varsity. :D

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I like cheerleaders.

Thought that should be shared

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

A lot of the state H.S. associations that regard cheering as an activity rather than a sanctioned sport do that for liability reasons (no need to hold championships, therefore no reason to insure it) and to spare member schools the expense of getting coaches certified.

I believe a recent NYT story said that cheerleading has about eight times as many catastrophic injuries (head and spine) on a per capita basis as does football in college and H.S.

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I'm no expert. Just someone who was terribly interested in the nuances of strategy and paid attention because I hope one day it'd pay off.

Unfortunately, in 10 years, I can count on two hands the number of times it helped me write a better story.

10. Mathletes

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted