1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I gotta ask ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jims242, Nov 2, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Things have changed since I went to high school in Ga. way back when.

Yeah, if it's state-sanctioned a paper might have a tougher time completely ignoring it. Just hope your local schools suck.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Academic Decathlon is state-sanctioned, too.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The GHSA is the Georgia High School Association... note the lack of the word "athletic" in the title

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am thinking more along the lines of it sanctioning non-athletic events; more of an overall extra-curricular association...

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

My niece is in her second year of Academic Decathlon competiton ... the "Geek Olympics" as she calls it.
    She works just as hard as the football team does, except she has to learn more than pass patterns and blitzes and whatever other shit is in a high school playbook these days. And a whole lot more than airhead cheerleaders will ever learn.

The states can sanction cheering competition all they want. It is not and never will be covered in my sports section.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not in NJ, Buck.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What he said.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Hello. No. Not. Ever.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In the Football_Bat Activities Association, competitive cheer gets shunted to the Friday community section.

10. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Competitive cheer: not a sport. But hey, these kids work "really hard," right? Sometimes I wonder if crazy sports parents are getting the same talking points by fax.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Isn't that a little harsh?

I was in high school 15 years ago. Up until halfway through my senior year, we ran a wishbone; we later switched to an I. Offensive tackles (like me) made the blocking calls for our side of the line. Among the blocks we had to know and make calls for (each had their own name):

-- Straight-up, man in front of you
    -- Tackle downblock, guard pulls around (vs. 40-front)
    -- Guard blocks out, tackle pulls around to LB (vs. 50)
    -- TE downblock, tackle pulls around
    -- Tackle blocks out, TE pulls around for LB
    -- Tackle/TE downblock, guard kicks out the DE (a 'Mike' block)
    -- Tackle/TE downblock, guard pulls and seals LB/second level (a 'Marc' block, as in a Mike with an arc)
    -- Double teams between C/G, G/T, T/TE, all of which had different names
    -- If the play goes to the other side, we had a standard half-step playside and pick up the nearest defender
    -- Blocking for other plays which didn't fit any of the above, like trap (unblocked DT, picked up by pulling guard), sweep (C/G must account for DTs in a 40, since both guards pull) and quick pitch (TE downblocks vs. 50 to pick up DT in the absence of a pulling tackle)
    -- Pass-blocking, which was generally standard across the board

In college, we had a three-step progression for every play, and our playbook wasn't just a couple of pages. The progression dictated who you were blocking and at what angle. We also had the standard check plays, where the QB calls the direction of the play at the line, and a system of at least five different audibles - been a while, so I don't remember them all, but black was a three-step drop, brown was a standard five-set drop, yellow was bootleg, green/gray was a running play. So, in the span of less than five seconds, you had to figure out the new play and find and execute your responsibility.

That's not to dismiss your niece and what she does, which is impressive and something absolutely worthy of commendation. However, to think that a playbook consists primarily of "pass patterns and blitzes and ... other shit" is shortsighted and, frankly, disappointing.

On some level, you have to be smart to play football. Those that muck up their responsibilities continually won't be playing much longer.

And that doesn't even mention the 'airheaded' cheerleaders, some of whom might, you know, be smart too.

12. I'm sorry, but in order to be an acknowledged expert on the subject, you're going to have to use the word "football" a helluva lot more often.

Draft saved Draft deleted