1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I gotta ask ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jims242, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Hello SportsJournalists.comers,

Overall opinions on covering "competitive cheer."

We're in the meat of our district and regional volleyball with football right around the corner. I've gotten only two phone complaints via the phone, but was wondering what the rest of you guys and gals think about this.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Cheerleading is not a sport.

Period.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I second Doc.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

How many phone complaints did you get via the microwave?

6. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Glad to see it's an agreement.
    A lady called me today and told me to read our competition (10 miles away) to learn how a real sports section covers competitive cheer.

I told her I didn't think real sports sections covered competitive cheer (not a knock on the "other" paper, of course).

She was not amused and will, no doubt, call my ME later.

7. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Good one, Mystery Meat. (I guess a newbie such as I should expect a good smart-ass answer every now and again.)

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't think all that much of competitive cheer personally, but if it's sanctioned as a sport by your state's high school athletic association and district/conference, region and state titles are awarded, then it's a sport. I wouldn't go nuts covering it, but that's the standard I'd go by.

Of course, the parents of said cheerleaders are more likely to lodge non-sports complaints about your coverage. Case in point: one time I had a freelancer shoot the teams I had in the region meet, and one of the mothers was upset because the action photo that represented her team didn't have faces visible. I explained to her that no other sports parent ever made that comment to me before, but a sideline cheering parent did.

And sideline cheering has no place in sports at all unless it's unusually good wild art, a part of a photo page or ... well, that's it.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Lugnuts is wondering why she just pounded a wall with her fist.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Gimme an N! Gimme a O!

Band is as much of a sport as cheerleading. Neither should be in the sports section.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Do any states sanction it and award state titles? Gawd I hope not.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's an activity, not a sport...

Tell mom to put the tinfoil hat back on and go away

Draft saved Draft deleted