1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I got my own college radio show...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I may have pulled off the most improbable double in the history of college radio, hosting a Stephen Sondheim show and co-hosting a sports talk show in the same semester. Aggregate number of listeners for these shows: Six, maybe seven? Probably for the best...

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Of course. I'd put the listeners of an average college soccer game on a college radio station at eight, with at least four of those drunk and not realizing what's on. Of course the one I called was listened to by half my frat house, who never let me forget my stumbling, bumbling self.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't like cabbage, either. I did the same thing, gave up radio for print. I still miss being behind the mic.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was doing a basketball game and called the visiting team by the wrong name more than once, but probably not more than three or four times. The first thing my friends asked me was: "Who won, the home or wrong away team?"

Bastards.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Boomer, I might be able to top you on that double...

My junior year, I got involved with the underground rap scene at my college. Through the weeks, I befriended a guy who ran a hip-hop radio show that went on right before our sports talk show.

One day he wanted me to help him co-host his pretty popular hip-hop show and I figured since I have to be there anyway, why not help him out. Well, it turned into something else.

The tag-line of the show was, "If we're not banging beats, then we're banging your girl."

So near the end of the hip-hop show, we're playing the clean version of Jay-Z and Eminem's "Renegade." The song is fading and my friend wanted me to send it into the next show with the tag-line.

So here's a ultra-white Rumple, grabbing the mic (wasn't the only time in college) and signing off with "You were just listening to the Hood Connection. If we're not banging beats, then we're banging your girl."

Two minutes later, I am sitting co-pilot for the sports talk radio show talking about the U's sports scene.

I doubt any of our listeners transfer between the two shows, but my mindset had to change real quick.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I suggest you turn your fellow students on to David Peel, the Dead Kennedys, Bow Wow Wow, Frank Zappa, pre-'Love Shack' B52s, Phish and the 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' soundtrack, just to name a few off the top of my head.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

It's been put on hold unfortunately, mostly because I was broke and have a decent, paying stringer gig up here with the Union Leader as well as a job with a contractor. Also, current college financial aid department made me come back or threatened to hold my transcripts and send the debt to collection because my FAFSA was mistakingly never filed for this last minute school. Most likely, gonna finish up the upcoming semester while working and saving some money, move down after the semester, begin college fresh in Florida in September. Trying to actually get involved in the school this semester though and make the best of it.

Some very good advice in this thread, thanks everyone. And I'm thinking the first song will be "Me So Horny" by 2 Live Crew...solid way to kick things off.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Damn, I should have used that sign-off on the Sondheim show. :)

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Nice.

BB, if you want to get in some 90s hip-hop, how about Boogie Down Productions instead of 2LiveCrew?

Some of the happiest momets of my life not involving a loved one were spent hosting a 1960s-1970s country classics show on a pirate station in a tiny town in the middle of the desert. Willie and Waylon, Cash, George Jones, Merle, Kristofferson. Charlie Rich, Ray Charles' country recordings, Buck Owens, Ray Price, Faron Young, Gram Parsons, Marshall Tucker to mix things up a little. A couple of joints, a six of Carta Blanca and a bag of corn chips. Good times.

"Some times at night, Lord, when I hear the wind...I wish I was crazy again."

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I had the college radio experience in high school. Our school had an FM radio station which basically covered the whole county. As part of course work, I had to run a polka show in the morning a few times a week, but once a week I had a radio show of my own from 6 to 8 p.m.

I played all kinds of off the wall stuff and just had fun with it. I usually brought a lively friend or two to assist with the between song conversation. The music was everything from off-the-wall metal to punk rock. By the end of the show's run, I had people calling by the dozens to request songs. To this day it was the most fun I've had in media.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

If you don't have an "SportsJournalists.com Picks the Songs" hour once a week, you show will be fail.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Your old pal Westie was a college dj once upon a time.

I was bound and determined to be the penultimate cross between Howard Stern and Dr. Johnny Fever while playing only cool indie stuff. Trouble is, the PD was all about Flop 40 music.

If I weren't currently battling food poisoning and jet lag (I've been in Asia for like a month), I'd tell you about how I converted a couple of female listeners...

Draft saved Draft deleted