1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I got laid off from my paper...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by stix, Oct 7, 2008.

1. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Via voicemail.

Worked at this paper for four-plus years, and a couple weeks ago I was notified of my layoff by voice message. As for the other lay-offs, they were herded into the breakroom and given the news in a matter of seconds.

Just a despicable way to handle things.

I sent a very lengthy email to the editor-in-chief, the managing editor, the publisher and the president of the company detailing how unprofessional their actions were and how offended I was to be stripped of my dignity that way. Their excuse was that they couldn't find my cell phone number until after the other lay-offs were notified. I'm in contact with my SE on a daily basis. Pretty sure they could've gotten it from him.

To this day (my last day is tomorrow), I haven't met with anyone face-to-face, except for HR to inform me of my benefits/severance. What a joke.

Oh, well. I've been doing lots of freelancing gigs, with a lot more lined up. Good thing I have some decent connections. I'll probably do some bartending to make a more staple income and work a couple days a week in a warehouse for a guy I know. Then I'm considering law school, after I get married next August.

Sucks to be laid-off, but I'll deal with it and move on. But the way it was handled with me was hurtful and unacceptable. Hope it never happens to any of you guys.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

That's horseshit, Stix. Just goes to show the level of class we're dealing with.
    Good luck.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What newspaper?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you ever want to out the paper, feel free. we're good at piling on...
    Sorry about the loss; I know if sucks.

5. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'd rather not say. Maybe after a little time goes by, but not at the moment. It's a guild editorial staff (whether guilds are actually helpful or not, that's a whole other matter), so I was laid off basically because of lack of seniority, and the guild president is going back-and-forth with upper management on buyout offers. Of course, upper management has probably rejected even the most reasonable and management-favored buyout offers.

Anyways, there's a chance I could come off the layoff list if there's a couple buyouts. But considering I just ripped upper management in this thread (deservedly so), I don't exactly want to burn any bridges.

Not sure anyone in upper management glances at this message board (probably not) but you never know. Anyways, the lack of class they showed to me is probably turning into the norm, not the exception, in this industry.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

That really sucks. I hope Karma ultimately corrects this situation on your end and theirs.

7. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Oh, it will. I have no doubts about that. I don't believe in a lot of "supernatural" stuff or anything like that, but I do believe that when you choose to shit on other people in life, you'd better get ready to get shit on yourself.

Besides, like most other papers in this situation, these lay-offs are only short-term solutions. Upper management is too incompetent and lazy (a nice combination of both) to actually think of ways to improve the paper (no, "hyper-local" content doesn't count), so it will probably all got to hell anyways.

This won't be the first round of lay-offs. If anything, getting laid off gave me the kick in the ass I needed to explore other options. I will continue to freelance, because I love sportswriting, but perhaps a better "core career" lies elsewhere.

8. stix

stix Well-Known Member

In fact, we have a new section titled "MORE." That's, right. "MORE." That's the fucking name of the section.

It's all the tidbits of little garbage (national briefs, entertainment news, crossword puzzles, political columns, you name it) that they can't cram into the increasingly shrinking newshole of the rest of the paper.

"MORE."

Another brilliant and inspiring idea from upper management.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just whisper it. We won't tell...

10. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I feel your pain, Stix.

Two years ago on May 15, I got fired as sports editor in the same manner: a 90-second voicemail left on my cell phone. When I went to go get my stuff from my desk the next day, I was forced to wait in the hall for 10 minutes, then was told I had five minutes to pick up my stuff and leave. This from a paper in which I busted my ass for two years. What made it worse was that it happened less than a week before I was supposed to move into a new apartment.

I haven't spoken to the ME who pulled the trigger and have no plans to. I don't wish him ill will, but can't respect him. In hindsight, I should have taken it as a sign and left the business altogether, but had to give it one last stab at the field. When the time comes this go-round, there won't be a return.

11. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I just don't understand how anyone could treat someone like that ... how do folks like that sleep at night or look themselves in the mirror with any respect for themselves... sorry stix, you deserve better -- and you got it by not being a part of that company any more...

12. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Man, that's even worse than the shit I got.

I feel the same way about my superiors. I don't wish them ill will and I'm not going to key anybody's car or anything, but I really have no interest in speaking with them. I fired off my email, said what I wanted to say, and that's that.

That being said, I have NO respect for any of them. None. I still have a great relationship with my SE, who was furious this was handled the way it was, but he had no control over it, of course. The upper management at my paper pretty much has zero respect from any of its employees. They're drowning and keeping their heads above water by pushing other people under. That can't go on forever, and I'm sure they know it.

Draft saved Draft deleted