1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Got Fired

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by editorhoo, Nov 29, 2008.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

And if there is an illegal reason, like discrimination, in order to even survive a motion to dismiss, you need to prove that the employer's pretext for your dismissal is not just a pretext, but specifically a pretext for discrimination. Tough standard to meet.

Good luck. It's very upsetting to read about how you were treated.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hank, I'm not being an asshole, but you have me a little confused about the meanings..

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well that's not a surprise.

Maybe you can tell hoo about what can happen when he goes to HR?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Grow up BYH. The guy got fired.
    You repeatedly keep referring HR stuff to me. What are you talking about?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have strayed off topic.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

BYH, Have a Happy Miss The NIAFL Playoffs Day.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

You're not sorry and you do it too much. The guy got fired and people were trying to give him help. Hank was trying to explain at-will and right to work.
    If it turns you on so much to chime in with stupid stuff on such a serious subject, I feel sorry for you.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Drip, trust me. I know more about this topic, and have offered more help to Editorhoo, than you. I am sure of it.

As for you: It would be nice if people could get fired, and stay fired, from SJ. I guess that's too much to ask.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Get fired from SJ. Again, what are you talking about?
    And I'm glad that you have helped this guy. I haven't kept a running scorecard of who helped him the most. Obviously, you have.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

[​IMG]

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Yes, just as you have the right to quit for no reason.

Barring discrimination prohibited by law -- that is, dismissal solely on account of race, gender, age, etc. -- the paper can fire you without giving you a reason. The paper does not even have to have a reason.

Doesn't necessarily make it right, just legal.

If you have a copy of a written policy saying an employee cannot be fired without a performance assessment and a chance to improve, you might have a chance. But you'd have to prove that no one has been fired without such protocol ... and, in fact, that the policy is still in force. Can you show that the policy stayed in place even if a top editor or publisher changed?

12. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Never. In fact, as I've pointed out in this thread, we've had a weekly columnist on our staff for 15 years who writes for the rival paper full-time.

Draft saved Draft deleted