1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I get a kick out of Jeff Reed, Week 8 NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 22, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think they are getting there even with Conner, but that's a big story of the game tonight.

Sounds like we aren't going to find out tonight. If it really is a shoulder problem and not a broken collarbone, that's certainly a big positive.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Look at their schedule so far and what remains. Yeah, they're 3-4, but Seahawks-Patriots-49ers gauntlet is behind them. Upcoming: Evil Irsays, Rams (both at home) and then three straight with the Browns and Bengals. Winning the four division games, a streak ending with the finale in Baltimore, should get them to at least 9-7 and victory in the tiebreaker.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You have to hand it to them.

4. outofplace

It's possible, though unlikely. It gets a lot tougher without Conner, though maybe Samuels makes it back early. He was supposed to be out longer with the knee injury, but he did practice this week. Conner was a beast tonight. It sure seemed to help that they got Nix back, too, but they just can't get a break on the injuries this season.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I know all of you guys care, so I wanted to share my annoyance at Conner's injury. Just gave up a second-rounder for him

6. outofplace

Mike Tomlin should have considered your fantasy team!

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They never ever shut up. Ever.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nah, it's glorious. From a betting perspective that game had a bit of everything. I bet that both teams would score a TD in the first half and never imagined I'd have had to sweat the Pittsburgh side, and what a sweat that was between the bad PI and then the TD through that terrible Dolphins defensive scheme.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It wasn't so much rushing eight.
    It was failing to cover one of the three receivers.

10. outofplace

That was their best cornerback blowing his assignment, but why take that kind of risk on a third-and-20?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Do we know that he was supposed to faceguard the receiver? Playing an umbrella coverage on 3rd-and-long is usually the way to go. Let them catch and be more certain to bring him down, as opposed to getting beat on press coverage, falling for either a double move or simply getting blown by.

Rushing eight is NOT the way to go. The block Washington got on the Dolphins' DB at the five to complete the scoring play got the attention of someone who was watching in the same room as I was, and it was good work by ESPN production to get Mike Tomlin patting Washington on that play.

Simple summary: Unless you've got the Legion of Boom or something of that ilk, don't do what the Dolphins did. How many times has Darius Rucker cried lately?

12. outofplace

It was definitely a great block by Washington, a bright spot in a bad day for him. I don't think the coverage the Dolphins ran on that play would have been smart no matter what kind of talent you have on defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted